plastic welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic welding?

so today my girlfriend asked to borrow my kayak to go yak around on the river with a few friends. i gave her a quick lesson on how to use a ratchet strap and told her to make sure she straps it down the same way i showed her.. well of course she didnt listen and on the way to drop it back off to me it fell off the top of her libery and the nose smashed into the ground, splitting the seam where they meet and jacking the whole tip up.. ive heard about plastic welding before but im not sure how to go about fixing this. im going to take a heat gun to it tomorrow to straighten it up as best as i can..

it doesnt see any crazy white water rapids or anything, its more of a cruize down streams/lakes kayak. anyone who has any experiance or info on plastic welding give me some advice on how to go about fixing this. thanks in advance

i think Justin (customcreations here) does this...maybe he will chime in unless i am wrong

if all else fails maybe apoxy the bloody fawk out of it
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Lumberg is a plastic welding engineer he may have an idea.
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
        Lumberg is a plastic welding engineer he may have an idea.
        No, he's the division VP of Initech. Gawd.
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Have a friend that modifies bumpers for vw's and sells them. From what ive been told you just gotta practice, He self taught himself on junk plastic.

Comment

Long story short my kayak got run over by a 38" tire so I would be really interested in seeing the results. If you want to form it back to the way it was I used a bucket of boiling water and a towel and thermal gloves and just put the towel on the deformed area and then hit it with a rubber mallet over and over again through the towel making sure to keep the towel boiling hot. Now after being run over mine tracks straight and looks good but it does have a small rip in the plastic around one of the storage openings so I would like to know how to do this too.
            Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
            93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
            Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
              Have a friend that modifies bumpers for vw's and sells them. From what ive been told you just gotta practice, He self taught himself on junk plastic.
              thats basically any welding, their are some decent epoxies out there, I used a few on my my old GSXR when i bought it crashed.

Comment

make her buy u a new one
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Tel her to stay in the Kitchen next time.
                  -Caleb

Comment

(first time ive used the like smiley.... it felt SOOOOOO GEWWWWD)
                    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                    some people choose video games
                    some choose projects
                    some choose welding random things together

Comment

cant make samiches floating down a fucking river
                      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                        cant make samiches floating down a fucking river
                        Aint that the truth.
                        -Caleb

Comment

she is probably going to end up buying me a new one.. but that might take a bit and im trying to fix it so dont sink considering i use it a few times a week. after i bitched her out for it she did go into the kitchen to make me mashed potatoes and got me beer

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                            thats basically any welding, their are some decent epoxies out there, I used a few on my my old GSXR when i bought it crashed.
                            Well what i was trying to say is their is no class or book on how to plastic weld, I think

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                              make her buy u a new one
                              X2
                              99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Working...
                              X