City vs. Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City vs. Country

There was an article in the WSJ this morning that gave some interesting statistics on some health metrics between urban and rural areas.

My question to you is which do you think is a healthier place to live and why? I'll give the results later
    City
    22.73%
    Country
    77.27%

Depends on the city, depends on the rural area, depends on the general populous itself.

White City dwellers I've seen tend to be more health conscience because of their liberal free thinking attitude and how they plan to change the world where white rurals tend to be a tad more overweight because of their lack of nutrition due to the fact they like to deep fry and barbecue everything...but that is comparing NYC to say Rural neighborhoods in Pennsylvania.

It also depends on the city and the quality of living. Places like Bridgeport have a very very low standard of living even thought they are bombarded with high taxes and the general populous, only the poorest live there and they care nothing for how they live and what they eat, had poor health and poor diets that ultimately lead to an overwhelming number of health problems in the end. Then we compare to Fairfield where only these white yuppies live and they have a bit more of an understanding on quality of living and diet versus Bridgeport.

I'm curious to know what the article says.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Good post good post

The study lumped all urban areas together and all rural areas together for their purposes, so any differences between 2 regions probably average out

Comment

How rural are we talking here, Rural Fairfield, or Rural Pine Grove, PA because even the standard of living between those two areas is stark enough to make me question the results in the poll.

The problem I see is the vast amount of options you get in the city whereas the more limited options in a very very small town. Cities have more stores, offer more choices, those who care, will go to the plethora of gyms or shop at once of the many 'health food stores' in the area. Those who care will take care of themselves, while those who don't will succumb to obesity and a overbearing stress of living in the city. Rural Areas offer limited choices in terms of stores thus I have a feeling that people would become more apathetic as a whole. If there is only one place to shop, well, that's where they go for their food and whatever quality food is there, they eat, whether the meats have been sitting for days or whatever.

Education also has a lot to do with it. Higher educated humans tend to flock to the cities in search of work, while most rural homesteads may be working class or lower or farmers who were home schooled.

Once again, assuming that when they mean City, they are lumping together all NYC and San Fran and everything else against all rural areas like Pine Grove, PA and Yucca Valley, CA.
        sigpic

Comment

By rural they mean like legit farmland backwoods america

Comment

Then I'm voting city. Lets see how right / wrong I am.

If we a talking backwoods super bayou farmland American, then yeah, Cities have much better education, healthcare, and quality of living comparatively.

If I'm wrong, I'd be curious to know the reasons.
            sigpic

Comment

Ok cool, lets get some more responses here, they compiled a TON of data and the results are interesting

Comment

I agree with Phil

People in the city seem to follow health trends, such as eating organic and working out. But I think living/working in the city is more stressful, and stress can be a big factor on ones health.

People in the country might be less stressed and happier but in general i dont think follow the same health trends.

this is just my guess, It all depends on the where in the US we are talking about. As attitudes on diet, exercise and life affect ones overall health.
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

also i think people in the country (blue collar workers) tend to "work hard, play hard". this being drinking, smoking ect...
                  "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

i vote city. i agree with what phil & dana have said....also, i feel that a city environment can provide a lot more to children unlike a country area where i feel like children are more prone to abusing drugs/alcohol. also, city areas tend to have more doctors & whatnot, so you can get better treatment than a country area IMO
                    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Im going to go against the grain and say country. I think that kids from a city environment are exposed more to gangs,drugs,Violence. Not saying that the country doesn't have drugs or violence. I mean Im sure there is pot around but I think there is a lack of heavy drug's, coke,x etc..... I feel as if kids that grow up on a farm have tough labor life and have a better work ethic. I guess I have seen it go both way with eating and healthcare. I go to college in NY with a hole bunch of farm kid's from NY,PA,NJ,OH,VT,VA,CT it seems that 90% of them are more muscular then fat.

JMHO- Pat

Comment

judging by the obesity epidemic i don't think it even makes a difference anymore

but i'm definitely interested to find out the results!
                        erika. sweat and dirt;

00 xj & 93 yj.

Comment

Originally posted by skippy View Post
                          judging by the obesity epidemic i don't think it even makes a difference anymore

but i'm definitely interested to find out the results!

Comment

i say country..less fast food around.. even though thats not my only supporting evidence
                            1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

I vote country because I dont want some little mud duck stealing my shit.

Comment

Working...
                              X