Osama bin Laden has been killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obama: The Man Who Got the Job Done

Sunday, just before midnight, President Barack Obama told the American people that Osama Bin Laden was dead. Thanks to an American-led mission, Bid Laden had been cornered in a compound outside of Islamabad, and after some gunfire, was killed.

Over the next days, details will emerge of the actual event. But what we can say tonight is that President Obama will receive great political accolades for his efforts. He is already being positioned as the leader that focused on the right mission rather than the wrong war.

In his statement, President Obama laid out very clearly for the American people, that this event was a direct result of his, the President's, intentions. He used the phrases often and conspicuously such as "at my direction" and "I repeatedly made clear" and "I gave the order that..."

He explained that he had told CIA Director Leon Panetta that tracking down Bin Laden would be his top priority. After many years of intelligence gathering, the President said the CIA got a "lead." In August of 2010, the President was informed: "Bin Laden was in a compound deep within Pakistan." That compound was found last Friday at which point the President gave the order to action ending the life of the greatest villain of our time.

Congratulations flood in from political and cultural leaders alike. What looks like thousands of people are gathering outside the White House -- led by White House staffers -- to cheer, sing the national anthem, and wave the American flag. Some are climbing trees. Others flash cameras. More are on their way. Facebook news feeds are jammed with congratulations and comments. Twitter accounts are flashing. We are all huddled around our televisions and laptops.

Obama told us this evening: "This marks the most significant achievement in our war against terror." It also marks what could very well be a turning point in the Obama presidency. Beleaguered by a stalled economy, stinging partisan politics, and the most challenging public policy issues of our time, Obama's approval rating has languished.

But Sunday's success will give Obama new fuel. His staff is positioning him as the man who got the job done. He's the tough leader who gave the order to Leon Panetta. He's the apt negotiator who brought Pakistan in line to help. He's the hands-on manager who had five top security briefings over the past three months in order to plan for the actual ambush.

This success and the exuberance that Americans are feeling will thrust Obama into the election season with new energy. It will also smother any complaints from the Right about this President's commitment to national security. Democrats now want you to ask the question: Who can really get the job done on issues of national defense?

Former President George W. Bush released a statement of his congratulations saying that this was a "victory for peace" and a lesson for the world that "no matter how long it takes, justice will be done."

How long it took was nearly ten years. No doubt, the Republicans will say that President Bush laid the groundwork for the capture and death of Bin Laden. However, it will largely be perceived as an empty argument. Sunday's success is because Obama gave laser focus to the mission, rather engaging in a tangential war in Iraq. He invested in deep intelligence, rather than from-the-hip militarism.

For that, in the coming weeks and months he will be aptly rewarded.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/meredi..._b_856129.html

...And may he take all the credit.

Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Navy fucking Seals.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlleen View Post

Happy Usama is dead day!!!!
        photoshop
        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
        Originally posted by DizzDizz
        aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post

that picture just says so much. saw it this morning on the times...gave me goosebumps.
          mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
          2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
          and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
            photoshop

It's almost comical how fast the internet works. Some guy makes a clever photoshop and it's on the news in 5 minutes.

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
            that picture just says so much. saw it this morning on the times...gave me goosebumps.
            Yeah, same... Got a little dusty in here...
            sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

^lol
                Sergeant Sergeant Master Sergeant Shooter Person

MS Paint " Its like painting with a sauce covered piece of pasta".

Official In Crowd member.

Comment

IF he really is dead, GREAT!
                  as for Obama taking credit for something he was against and blamed bush for when people griped... All I have to say is FUCK!!! He is going to ride this straight through the next election, convenient that it happens right as his popularity was dropping with no end in sight..... I'm a little too wound up about this to speak coherently, so I'll just leave it alone for a minute.
                  Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
                  My "Bucket" Build
                  MilitaryJeepers.com
                  ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                  !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Originally posted by bucketokarma View Post
                    as for Obama taking credit for something he was against and blamed bush for when people griped... All I have to say is FUCK!!! He is going to ride this straight through the next election, convenient that it happens right as his popularity was dropping with no end in sight..... I'm a little too wound up about this to speak coherently, so I'll just leave it alone for a minute.

Nothing on this forum makes me laugh harder than reading ur posts when ur panties get wrapped up in a knot......

For this I congratulate you on making my day filled with laughter

Ps.
                    Last edited by justtorchit; 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM.
                    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                    some people choose video games
                    some choose projects
                    some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by bucketokarma View Post
                      Dude Obama made all this happen. Bush was a waste of time, focusing on oil and chasing a ghost. Obama out smarted the enemy. He is a hero in my book. Sorry you dont feel the same way....

God bless the USA..

Comment

meh
                        dirty30

Comment

The White House and Congress will seize the opportunity to spin this to the point that there was no war on terrorism until Obama showed up on the scene and that Obama PERSONALLY shot UBL himself. FACT: The info that led to UBL going to hell was info gained from the prisoners down in Cuba and was the result of aggressive interrogation. FACT: Obama has hampered our military forces in their mission and he had brought a halt to most all efforts with the exception of rendition and that is the avenue we followed to nail him under Title 50 rules.

Just sayin..... Panties untied, for now...
                          Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
                          My "Bucket" Build
                          MilitaryJeepers.com
                          ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                          !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

I r Troll

I actually do not like obama at all. just glad to see UBL dead....

I was getting so mad at what i tyoed i couldnt let it stand...

Comment

welcome to the way the government works these days. The real question is how long they sat on this info before it was the "right time" to go in there and kill him. I refuse to take things for their face value anymore. It just seems like a lot of shit happens at very convenient times for one person or another.
                              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                              1999 sierra
                              1967 M725 Big and Slow
                              -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                                welcome to the way the government works these days. The real question is how long they sat on this info before it was the "right time" to go in there and kill him. I refuse to take things for their face value anymore. It just seems like a lot of shit happens at very convenient times for one person or another.
                                Couldn't agree more, too much bull to sift through
                                dirty30

Comment

Working...
                                X