Kunkle Jig rental?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kunkle Jig rental?

I've been thinking about building a Knuckle jig I was going to build one for a D30 but I'm no longer using the D30 so changed my plan to building one for the D60 unit bearings because that is what I'm using.

I thought about building fabricated knuckles stronger use GM calipers and weld on High steer, maybe have the option for double shear heim joints.
    However I don't have insurance for stuff like that and don't feel like purchasing it right now. especially after EVB type law suit.

Instead I was thinking I can loan out a jig to hold everything in place. And you can weld it yourself. Maybe I can supply the hard parts like the unit bearing flange and ball joint taper bung.
    You build all the plate pieces and the steering arms, modify the Speedway brake calipers and weld it together yourself.
    I hope I wouldn't be liable for anything doing it that way. You make it as strong as you think is needed. I just helped keep everything in line before you weld, I'm not reliable for welding warp either.

The jig would consist of a OEM C which holds the ball joints in the correct place, a mount to hole the unit bearing flange in the correct location.

I can also make a jig to hold caliper brackets in the correct place too and the OEM steering arms in the correct place, I don't want to tell you where to mount High steer arms because that will effect drive ability.

So my question what would you pay for a DIY jig to make custom knuckles,
    I'll have to get a deposit on the jig so I get it back.

Then what knuckles would you like to have.
    D30 for the XJs
    and D50/D60 unit bearing Ball joint Knukles?

So is this something you guys would even like?

They already have D30 C gussets and RCV shafts to the D30 is getting pretty strong next weak link is the knuckle.
    I think it would be worth it just for the high steer arms.
    Last edited by customcreationsllc; 03-17-2011, 02:23 PM.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

im going to go out on a limb here and say not many of us need / could afford custom knuckles.

stock knuckles do fine on a d30 / 44 / 60 for what most people need them to do. Most likely people will just slap a high steer arm on the pass knuckle on a 44/60 and call it a day.
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

oh, and saying the word "knuckle jig" out loud made me chuckle
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

I would make the Blue Pink and Orange piece.
        And the brake green piece is $10 from speed way.
        You would have to make all the gray parts. Make them as fancy as you want.

This is a D60 the ball joints get pressed in the knuckle on the D30 the ball joint gets pressed in the C.

The D60 unit bearing doesn't have much for High Steer only machining the stock knuckles.
        http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2936

And D30 don't have any High steer for the Diver side you can also make the arms longer to clear the diff.

RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

hmmm if you want you can try out a dana 30 one, Ill be your guinnea pig and sign a liability waiver
          maybe you could make all the parts and offer it as a weld yourself kit. with everything cut. because really if anything fails is most likely to be a weld, then you cant be lieble anyway. or sell it with a waiver.
          Dan.
          2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
          www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

i thought for a while about making my own c's and knuckles for my d30, and even chatted with you about it, but at the end of day realized on a d30.... why bother it's a dana 30. For someone truly abusing their 30 with like jeepspeed or any racing format, then these would deff be a great upgrade.

I'm probably still going to fabricate my own D60 kingpin c's though.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

That's why I was asking how many people would want a D30.
              I'm making the D60 one for me anyways.
              Only real benefit would get you high steer.

Waivers don't work you cannot sign away negligence, I asked.
              It is not like a diff cover that fails you loos a little oil and that is after abuse.
              This is steering/suspension easily claim it drives/steers differently and made you crash etc.
              You can probably bring it someone else to weld up tell them it is for a tractor.

I wouldn't want to sell the gussets but all you would need is a plate and cut it out with a saws all our bring it by to get plasma cut or find someone with a torch. Mild steel cuts pretty fast with a sawsall and you would get a cleaner edge.

I have no need to make a D30 knuckle right now.
              But I have all the parts to make the jig, a couple spare knuckles and C's.

Maybe down the road.
              Adam is stuck with a D30 per class 1.
              And I'm trying to convince my other friend to build a Honda single seater race buggy.
              I would have him use a D30 with RCV racing at RC you don't need the top speed, racing you don't need to do digs, you can back up as much as you want.
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

I would probably be interested in both.
                2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                • 5.13's
                • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Id be interested in fabbed d30 knuckles, something that bolted on some bigger brakes maybe and histeer.

If you wanna make the bigger brakes happen, I could let you borrow my wj knuckles to use those brakes
                  dirty30

Comment

Working...
                  X