Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.V.B

Got raped in a lawsuit over user error on beadlocks for 1.5 million

DANBURY -- Dennis Janson of Ridgefield, an acoustic engineer, studio designer and architect, won $1.5 million in a personal injury case Friday -- primarily because of hearing loss he suffered when, according to his complaint, the tire on his Jeep Wrangler exploded in 2007 while Janson knelt near it.

Antonio Ponvert III, Janson's lawyer, said the award is one of the largest for a personal injury suit ever meted out at Danbury Superior Court.

He said his client, while still able to work as an acoustic engineer and studio designer, is "unable to enjoy life the way he used to" because of his hearing loss and the tinnitus -- constant ringing in his ears.

"I am pleased that the jury made such a fair decision, and that our judicial system works," Janson said Friday He also praised Ponvert, saying, "Our counsel did a wonderful job."

However, James Daley, the owner of the Danbury company that sold Janson the wheel -- Extreme Vehicle Builders, which is owned by J.D.O.R.A.P. Inc -- said Friday he will appeal the decision. Extreme Vehicle Builders and J.D.O.R.A.P. Inc. were listed as the defendants in the civil suit.

"I'm fully sympathetic that he was injured," Daley said. "But this is excessive."

In his complaint in the case, Ponvert said that on Feb. 25, 2007, Extreme Vehicle Builders installed four wheels on Janson's Jeep Wrangler. Daley said Friday the wheels are for "extreme off-road" tires. Janson paid $2,635 for the wheels and their installation, and drove the vehicle without problems for about four months, the complaint said.

But on June 17, 2007, the complaint said, while Janson was checking the bolts on the right front tire, the wheel's bead-lock rim sheared off at a weld joint.

"The tire exploded," Ponvert said Friday.

The force of the explosion knocked Janson backward into a stone wall, the complaint said, injuring both his hands. Ponvert said there is permanent ligament damage to one of Janson's hands, forcing him to wear a cast on it.

More serious, Ponvert said, is Janson's hearing loss.

The compliant said the accident caused "acute acoustic trauma" to Janson's hearing, causing permanent loss of hearing in his left ear, tinnitus, and loss of high-frequency hearing in both ears.

The complaint said the explosion "has interfered and will continue to interfere with his ability to perform his job and to maintain his standing in the acoustic design industry," caused a "permanent diminution" of his earnings, "irreparable destruction of his personal and professional reputation as a world-class acoustic designer" and architect, and harmed Janson's personal life, including his ability to sleep.

Ponvert said, however, that Janson has returned to work and is "just as able" to do his work as before the accident.

Daley said Friday that while he installed the wheels, he did not manufacture them. The manufacturer is out of business, he said, However, the suit claimed that the weld on the wheel was defective and because Extreme Vehicle Builders sold it, it is liable for the accident.

Daley said Friday that, in his opinion, the accident occurred because Janson applied too much torque to one of the bolts on the wheel. He also said he would not characterize what happened as an explosion, saying is was more akin to the release of air in a tire shop when a tire gets changed.

Daley said he had hearing experts who were willing to testify about whether Janson's hearing loss was as severe as Ponvert claimed. However, he said, Ponvert was able to block them from testifying.

And, Daley said, Janson spent another $10,000 at Extreme Vehicle Builders after the accident.

"If we're so bad, why did he continue to do business with us?" Daley said.
    http://www.newstimes.com/news/articl...nt-1042939.php
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

He went after them because he knew he would get money; that's why you have insurance.

The whole fucking story is a crock. There is a Law on CT books that says that that retail stores are responsible for quality control of the product they sell. That's how this case was won.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

So many D35's.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

that's strange never heard of a beadlock blowing up before, esp causing that much damage. I think that guy is full of shit.

proof again you can sue for anything
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
          There is a Law on CT books that says that that retail stores are responsible for quality control of the product they sell.
          Although, it needs to be noted that pretty much every offroad product you purchase, comes with no or a very limited warranty. Seeing as offroad abuse can damage the construction of a well made part, either JD had a shitty ass lawyer or the judge is a cockholed twatmuffin.

If my tire blew out on the highway I can't sue BFG, because it says right there when you buy that tire, as soon as you go offroad with it, liability is on you and warranty is void.

This is also why alot of aftermarket installers have this in their signed work agreement:
          ...... shall not be responsible for any retail parts sold and shall not be held liable for any loss, damage or injury, whether ordinary, direct, special, incidental or consequential, arising from the manufacture, sale, installation, resale, delivery, possession, handling or use of its products.
          I mean unless someone dies or you can prove error by EVB beyond a shadow of a doubt, to me there is no case.

That and this pussy really wasn't hurt that bad.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

The whole fucking story is a crock. There is a Law on CT books that says that that retail stores are responsible for quality control of the product they sell. That's how this case was won.
            That is such a bull shit law. But yes as matt said usually if you read the fine print on the r.o/ bill there should of been some disclaimer not holding e.v.b responsible unless his lawyer sucks who wrote it.

I am curious to see what brand the wheels were.

Also on bead locks arent you supposed to let the air out of the tires when fucking with the rings and such?

Whats the deal on beadlocks in CT any ways?
            Last edited by Magilla; 03-09-2011, 10:26 PM.
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

Aren't beadlocks illegal for road use?

Can he prove he never drove it on public roads?
              MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Real beadlocks are designed for OFFROAD use..... Ten bucks says this dumbass had like 35 psi in the things and decided to fuck around with them.

I was told you should never under any circumstance have more than 20 psi in an external beadlock, but who knows how much legitimacy there is there, just spewing along the rumor.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                  Aren't beadlocks illegal for road use?

Can he prove he never drove it on public roads?
                  I have been told if they are D.O.T approved they are all right but i do not know if that is true or not
                  2001 wj tbd
                  1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                    Although, it needs to be noted that pretty much every offroad product you purchase, comes with no or a very limited warranty. Seeing as offroad abuse can damage the construction of a well made part, either JD had a shitty ass lawyer or the judge is a cockholed twatmuffin.

If my tire blew out on the highway I can't sue BFG, because it says right there when you buy that tire, as soon as you go offroad with it, liability is on you and warranty is void.

This is also why alot of aftermarket installers have this in their signed work agreement:

I mean unless someone dies or you can prove error by EVB beyond a shadow of a doubt, to me there is no case.

That and this pussy really wasn't hurt that bad.
                    In the end, shit like that rarely holds up in the court of law, as proven here.

I'm not saying the guy should have had the 1.5 mil awarded to him, but if you see how Lawyers word things in the court documents, you blood begins to boil.

Trust me...I did my research on this one. He was on the side of the highway when he hear a hissing noise, pulled over, went to inspect and the beadlock failed. It was a faulty weld on the inside of the rim. I do not know the manufacturer of the Beadlock.

EVB should not have been sued, plain and simple, but if a bead lock rim exploded in my face and fucked me up on the side of the highway, yeah, I'd be going after someone. You wouldn't?

This story isn't as simple as you think.
                    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 03-09-2011, 10:34 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

EVB should not have been sued, plain and simple, but if a bead lock rim exploded in my face and fucked me up on the side of the highway, yeah, I'd be going after someone. You wouldn't?
                      They stated the company that made the rims went out of business, now you cant go after them. Would you go after evb? Or suck it up as a loss?

I realize the WHOLE story is not there but im kind of curious to know what was said in the court room.
                      2001 wj tbd
                      1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                        They stated the company that made the rims went out of business, now you cant go after them. Would you go after evb? Or suck it up as a loss?

I realize the WHOLE story is not there but im kind of curious to know what was said in the court room.
                        Well, since there is no company to go after, they went after EVB because he sold them and because he is responsible for them.

It sucks, but that's how it goes. Companies have insurance for a reason.
                        sigpic

Comment

Andrew, your Incubus rims are gonna 'splode.
                          MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

This is why people hate lawyers and luckily I've had the opportunity to say it to one's face.
                            sigpic

Comment

The "injuries" being claimed here seem like a load of bullshit to me, but who knows.

After 4 months, I wonder if owners error played a part in this. Regardless, sucks for the guys at EVB. I know some here aren't enormous fans but most of them are good guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X