No announcement yet.

Mini buggy for the lil'un of the bunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building the buggy is rarely the cost that burns people outta racing financially
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

I understand that... but I won't be racin ultra 4...yet. Line mtn. and rcrocs is fairly inexpensive IIRC . I think you are more talking up keep of the vehicle... which... since my pockets are light I would build mostly with easy parts to pull from the boneyard.

Last edited by SupermanIce-J; 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM.
      2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
      • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
      • 4.0/42rle/np241or
      • 5.13's
      • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
      • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

I priced it out a while back and you can build some pretty sick little buggy's out of samis for really cheap. And the more used parts you find the cheaper and cheaper it gets. In about 8 years I will be able to get one for myself.

Comment

my friends races a CJ 4.2 carb with T-18 Dana20, D44 front and 9 inch rear
          on leafs, with bald crawlers and he has a blast.

My buggy got out of control I want to go fast and have 2 seater etc. got heavy quick.
          I thought I would be able to get away with a D30 upfront but not anymore.

But a 1.6 bolted to a 904 or something similar, 231 t-case rear engine it can do front digs.
          Single seater so plenty of room to turn 37s on stock D30 axle. Flip a LP D30 and a 8.25 or whatever in the rear.
          Run a steering box so no extra money there, it is racing if you cannot steer just back up.
          Copy the XJ suspension upfront, and leafs in the rear, stock coils or whatever.
          very doable cheap.
          I just have too many projects/direction to go and no money.
          I need some rich friends.

It would be fun as hell, just to get out there.
          Probably be light enough to put 2 on a trailer.

Man... now it got me thinking again.
          I can just build a quick buggy to get out there. I can knock a build like that out real quick. I just need a engine/ transmission.
          I'll have to talk to my boss at the garage see if he has anything laying around.

Anyone want to donate parts? I'll let you drive it.
          Dillon? what do I need to do to get a running 1.6?
          Anyone have a jeep 904? I don't car the bell I'll just make one.
          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthre...t=35662&page=5

Now that is getting back to a mini buggy. 1200lbs. that is friggin suite. i think those are 35's. almost exactly what i had envisioned for size.
            Last edited by SupermanIce-J; 03-04-2011, 03:13 PM.

2003 TJ Rubicon
            • 4.0/42rle/np241or
            • 5.13's
            • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
              I understand that... but I won't be racin ultra 4...yet. Line mtn. and rcrocs is fairly inexpensive IIRC . I think you are more talking up keep of the vehicle... which... since my pockets are light I would build mostly with easy parts to pull from the boneyard.

race prep, entry fees, truck, trailer, travel in general, so on

not undoable or trying to discourage, was just makin a discussion point

racing just to race and racing to be competitive are 2 entirely different costs as well
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                race prep, entry fees, truck, trailer, travel in general, so on

not undoable or trying to discourage, was just makin a discussion point

racing just to race and racing to be competitive are 2 entirely different costs as well
                If I built this it would be to race fo fun... I am not in the realm of the erik millers and david smiley as far as cash flow goes.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                • 5.13's
                • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                  Anyone have a jeep 904? I don't car the bell I'll just make one.
                  theres one on craigslist cheap. (2 hundo)

99 TJ, 4.0, 3 spd. pretty sure that's a 904 or a 999

i know someone that had a 42RLE but i don't know if they still got it.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/2217427134.html

Also Josh, my plans are to run the RCrocs race series for fun, i don't have the money to race competitively. I mean entry fees alone for the RCQ are almost $600 bucks, add in the rest of the costs and RCQ starts as $1500 dollar weekend, and thats before race prep and whatever you have to fix afterwards.

Building the buggy isn't really the problem its finding the money for $4000 worth of safety equipment, fire suits, helmets, hans device, seats, pumper, radio, gps, and other race specific expenses that it takes to make a trail rig into a race car.
                  Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM.
                  No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

The 1.6 will bolt up to the track/kick 3 speed auto, which has a married transfer case, you combine.that with a samurai divorced case and the kickerbox box and you've got a twin stick, other than that I think you'd be hard pressed to find another auto that works.

But thinking about you could probably get a 1.6 out of the geo car which would have a transaxle, if you wanted to go that route.

My dads 1.6 cost maybe 600-700 bucks to have acomplete, frshly rebuilt powerplant. That soar you can use the weber carb on the 8v, or efi on the 16v. They just started putting the newer 2.0 from the vitaras in there too.

Another idea would be to use a 2wd track/kick chassis and use the divorced sammy case, which would give you tones of play for.driveshaft angles
                    dirty30

Comment

I love the homebrew coilovers in that pirate link, Jawsch.
                      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                      MK2 Jetta > M3
                      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                      X