Radar detector legality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar detector legality?

Anybody have any insight as to the legality of detectors in CT specifically? I picked up a Beltronics V6 the other day from Best Buy, not really thinking much of it, but recently I've been told repeatedly to take it down when entering Base, as well as being told they are illegal.

I was under the impression they were good to go in CT, but a no go in NY. Although I've never took the time to research it myself, only word heard through others.
    Last edited by Even; 02-06-2011, 03:22 AM.

Check with PMO or any oher baxe orders
    Sergeant Sergeant Master Sergeant Shooter Person

MS Paint " Its like painting with a sauce covered piece of pasta".

Official In Crowd member.

Comment

I won one in my truck that I won in a game at Duchess once. I've had it for years now. Nothing special, some cobra kuzemagon. It works ok. Totally worth the 50 cents I spent to get it. I've heard of people getting bitched at for having one, never any tickets or anything though.
      1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
      1999 sierra
      1967 M725 Big and Slow
      -Dan

Comment

They are legal in ct but dont work for shit. By the time it goes off on laser its too late. Just drive slower.

Comment

waste of money, if I was a cop I would ticket anyone I saw with one, there is only one reason to have it, and that's because your speeding
          1992 xj Briarwood
          Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
          Welded front and rear
          13' LED roof lights
          Disco ball
          Truck nuts
          Spinners

Comment

More lift and bigger tires! should slow you down enough and you dont need to worry about it!!
            -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
            -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
            -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
            -57 GMC Pickup
            -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

I never had any issues having mine in CT. Though it always went off like crazy on 95 and just drove me nuts so I would turn it off. Never saw any cops but it would just go ballistic every few miles
              2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
              J10 project do want.
              "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

like alot of others said they dont work that great now adays, #1 it only helps if a cop is sitting on the side of road with laser going on, #2 by the time its gone off, the cop has seen you and most likely got a reading on your speed before you can react
                up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                eliminator MJ - Sold
                99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

pretty sure there legal in ct except on any armed force bases.

Comment

As far as I've been told, anything that can be sold in CT can be used and possessed in CT. Of course this may not apply to restricted access places. Also I'm thinking you can only trust this with big stores like best buy, Fuk Meh the neighborhood fish dealer may have illegal fish and obviously sure you can buy drugs from bob down the street in the house set back from the road that has "foreclosed" signs out front but....well you get where I'm going.
                    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
                    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
                    Eric

Comment

Law varies from state to state, but detectors are generally legal in private vehicles under the Communications Act of 1934[20] and illegal in commercial vehicles by DOT regulation (49 CFR 392.71). Exceptions:

* Illegal in all vehicles: Virginia, Washington D.C., U.S. military bases
                      * Illegal in commercial vehicles under state law: Illinois, New York, New Jersey (specifically, commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) and all vehicles over 18,000 pounds (8,200 kg)) Also illegal in all commercial vehicles over 10000 lbs under US federal law
                      * Prohibitions against affixing items to windshield - "obstructing vision"): Minnesota, California[21]
                      * Repealed: Connecticut (repealed in 1992)[22]

Comment

Why exactly are they illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Why exactly are they illegal?
                          because they give you a chance.
                          Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                          didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                          Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                          he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                          Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                          i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Working...
                          X