Overland Experts part doux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overland Experts part doux

Okay so I am have finished my training with the guys at OEX and can't say enough about how great it was and how much I leaned. As one trainer said "the first few days of training here is like trying to drink from a fire hose." They just give you so much information and it takes days to process what you learn there in a few hours. We covered many methods of recovery and driving many different vehicles though all kinds of terrain, even drove through a mock afghan town using mil spec squad comms breaking trail in 3 feet of snow . I was skeptical at first with everyone saying its all about seat time but I feel confident that OEX condenses about a year or more of seat time into a single day. Basically I feel like it would have taken me 5 years of wheeling to get the to point I am at today. The trainers were very professional but were also very personable though the do make you work to make every single dollar you send with them count. It is well worth the money. And I am extremely glad that I took this course. I would recomend it to everyone from someone who has never driven off road before all the way to to KOH drives. You can always learn something new. Here are some of my favorite videos that I took I have yet to receive the videos from everyone else. Check them out here http://www.overlandexperts.com/ or e-mail Bruce at info@overlandexperts.com trust me it is not as expensive as you might think ask him rates if you don't believe me...I believe it is the one of the cheapest driving schools in the country, this affects fleet quality slightly and the quality of their training building but not their training at all. They also give discounts in the winter and steep club discounts. Tell Bruce I sent you!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIA4gTF5k9A?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIA4gTF5k9A?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Lu1NVYZgI4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Lu1NVYZgI4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LUXM-OQMMos?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LUXM-OQMMos?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE_L9t-wYsA?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE_L9t-wYsA?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
    93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
    Eric

may i ask how much you paid for this?

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
      may i ask how much you paid for this?
      Sorry man I can't, long story, but I can give you what they told me. They said that the normal rate is $950 for the first day for two people $200 for the second normally but I think winter special is 2nd person free. Then I believe it is less for more days but I don't have any concrete numbers. Just shoot Bruce an e-mail tell him I sent you and he will be more than willing to give you a quote for your needs within a few hours.
      Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
      93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
      Eric

Comment

looks like you had some fun dude. but imho i learned to wheel by doing not by being tought. wheeling with my buddies and being told some techniques worked awesome. but to each his own, no way i would pay a gnote to be told how to wheel.
        Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

looks cool man. like dizz said to each their own.

I learned from watching other people, and paying attention during RCrocs, not gonna lie, one rockcrawling comp and you learn ALOT about what not to do, what to do, picking lines, lots of little tricks etc. Comp crawling is totally diff style of wheeling though, its seems they are more about trail riding, recovery, safety, etc. Which is nice. deff important things to learn
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by dizzy View Post
            looks like you had some fun dude. but imho i learned to wheel by doing not by being tought. wheeling with my buddies and being told some techniques worked awesome. but to each his own, no way i would pay a gnote to be told how to wheel.
            I hear where your coming from but I can guarantee you that over 2+ years of wheeling and learning from friends you would have broken more parts and sunk a lot more money into fixing broken parts than you would have spent taking this course. They also teach you how to drive your equipment better they even had a fully built bronco on their course with 38"s and a 6" kit and an atlas crawl box, basically the works. They easily kept up with it in a disco with 30"s and stock everything else. They taught me how to drive a stock FJ60 with 32" A/T's father than 95% of guys with lifted rigs, huge tires, and lockers.

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
            looks cool man. like dizz said to each their own.

I learned from watching other people, and paying attention during RCrocs, not gonna lie, one rockcrawling comp and you learn ALOT about what not to do, what to do, picking lines, lots of little tricks etc. Comp crawling is totally diff style of wheeling though, its seems they are more about trail riding, recovery, safety, etc. Which is nice. deff important things to learn
            Very true. Rock crawling is VERY different. We did some rock shelves and one or two small rock piles but nothing like the crawling they do. I think that was just because of the weather though because they have videos on their site of some crawling.
            Last edited by WickedXJ; 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM.
            Eric

Comment

Originally posted by WickedXJ View Post
              I hear where your coming from but I can guarantee you that over 2+ years of wheeling and learning from friends you would have broken more parts and sunk a lot more money into fixing broken parts than you would have spent taking this course. They also teach you how to drive your equipment better they even had a fully built bronco on their course with 38"s and a 6" kit and an atlas crawl box, basically the works. They easily kept up with it in a disco with 30"s and stock everything else. They taught me how to drive a stock FJ60 with 32" A/T's father than 95% of guys with lifted rigs, huge tires, and lockers.

what is their course like? Rausch Creek rocks? or dirt/mud trails? Im just trying to figure out how much they can teach you in a thousand dollar course that you dont get from actually learning first hand on your own or at a place like Rausch Creek. Im not knocking the place at all, just curious as to how much more they could teach someone. I mean, if you go in there with very little experience, you will get a lot out of it. But if someone who has been wheeling a few years and has a lot of experience under their belt, is it still worth the grand? How much more could they teach you about how to drive an "FJ60 with 32" ATs farther than 95% of the guys with lifted rigs, huge tires, and lockers?" farther on what terrain? etc. Again, Im not knocking the place, just genuinely curious about their teachings compared to what I would learn out on the trail learning first hand

Comment

what is their course like? Rausch Creek rocks? or dirt/mud trails? Im just trying to figure out how much they can teach you in a thousand dollar course that you dont get from actually learning first hand on your own or at a place like Rausch Creek. Im not knocking the place at all, just curious as to how much more they could teach someone. I mean, if you go in there with very little experience, you will get a lot out of it. But if someone who has been wheeling a few years and has a lot of experience under their belt, is it still worth the grand? How much more could they teach you about how to drive an "FJ60 with 32" ATs farther than 95% of the guys with lifted rigs, huge tires, and lockers?" farther on what terrain? etc. Again, Im not knocking the place, just genuinely curious about their teachings compared to what I would learn out on the trail learning first hand
                They have basically everything that you can think of. They have a huge gravel pit and then have a very large course in the woods. They lease the land from the gravel pit so they get the owner in with equipment from the pit to make obstacles, creating obstacles every 10 feet or so on the trails. They have ditches, severe side slopes, rock courses, rock piles, cliffs, tons of mundane to extreme hills, water pits, mud pits, my favorite was a side slope that was 15 feet up dropped down over 1 foot to a 5 foot deep trench with a cliff on the other side of the ditch, oh and ditch is only 3 feet wide. I was talking that 60 though stuff that I have seen guys with 8" kits, 36" tires and full arb lockers try and fail like extreme slopes(lockers actually do 100% worse on side slopes than open diffs) and deep ditches, given I did have to slide on my rear bumper but I mean on a trail on really any terrain(desert, northern forest, rain forest, etc.). It is just about how to drive what you have and not about having uber rigs and rev limiting it through.
                Eric

Comment

Im really interested to see what it would be like and see what they have to say. Just dont have a grand it seems like an awesome place for someone just starting out in the sport as well.

Comment

Just dont have a grand

Well then you're in luck!!!! Matt and Dizzy's Xtreme offroad school of Hammerdown is the right choice for you.

300 acres of some of the most intense rockcrawling known to man is topped off by none other than a massive bar at the main entrance to the park. The bar complete with lovely dancers, is there to fullfill all of your non-wheeling needs.

THen once, you are good and lubed up, B.A.C. that is.... We head out into the park, where learning is turned into a fun game. Points are awarded and deduced. Every point has an assigned value of one beer back at the bar.

Points System:

Rollover with rev limiter: 1 point
                    Drive out of rollover, using rev limiter: 2 points
                    getting stuck with rev limiter: 1 point
                    Top of an obstacle using nothing but throttle: 2 points
                    minor driveline break: 1 point
                    Major driveline explosion: 5 points (you need to drink, your truck got raped)

Getting stuck on something stupid (instructors discretion): -3 points
                    Rollover without rev limiter: -1 point
                    cutting the engine within 10 seconds of rollover: -2 points
                    winching: -2 points

Overall, this makes for a great day in the woods and learning experience overall. The best part is the only cost is a day fee of $20, whatever you break on your truck, and whatever you spend in the bar

Note: seatbelts, rollcage, fire suppressants, lockers, and big ass tires are highly recommended.

The only required item is an Amber LED. You will be going fast.
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

WHY does everyone no know about this it sounds like heaven
                      Eric

Comment

Can we do this Zullo?

Comment

Only after the 2.4 hours of lezullo
                          2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                          MK2 Jetta > M3
                          Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

The bar was my idea lol
                            Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

interesting...

to the OP, how many times have gone wheeling prior to this "training"

not bashing, just think the concept is interesting. I personally like going out in the woods and figuring things out, how to drive, how to fix your jeep ect..... thats half the fun
                              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Working...
                              X