a couple traverses Congo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
    ...And all the money in the world couldn't fix it.
    exactly. My opinion is, there's more than enough nice places to see in the US. You could spend your whole life traveling around the US and not see half of the cool stuff out there. I understand it doesn't have the same adventure factor as driving across the congo. But at the same time, it doesn't have the millions of boogies with aids factor either. So in my book that's a no brainer.
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

its just amazing to know what the world is like in such detail. also just how crazy they are to take on a trip like that and have the know how to survive it. i just read every post and he is quite an exemplary story teller, really paints a good picture
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

i can't believe they did that without lockers or a winch...crazy
        1987 YJ
        I'm still learning...

Comment

brave .....but stupid people ....i wouldnt go without some sort of entourage....
          99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

just read the whole thing holy shit what a journey!
            89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
            95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
            97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
            If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

This story is simply awe inspiring. But I can't believe they didn't have a winch they explained that they saved the money for a winch and spent an extra month on the road instead but if they had a winch then, reading their ordeals, they could have saved at least 2 weeks of being stuck! Or instead of paying the helpers $650 just buy a $600 winch and don't need helpers!?
              Jeeps don't get stuck ... they just take a nap when they are tired of being awesome
              93 2DR XJ 8" lift D30/D44 4.56's 35" MTRs IRO Y-link Build:http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658
              Eric

Comment

Originally posted by WickedXJ View Post
                This story is simply awe inspiring. But I can't believe they didn't have a winch they explained that they saved the money for a winch and spent an extra month on the road instead but if they had a winch then, reading their ordeals, they could have saved at least 2 weeks of being stuck! Or instead of paying the helpers $650 just buy a $600 winch and don't need helpers!?
                then what happens when the winch quits working ? I would have my doubt about using a winch as much as they did, they would have to spend more and get a really good winch + extra line /spare parts etc.

what is amazing after reading that is what the congo people have to do get things. very hard work. Hell they used a hand drill with dull drill bits to drill out and tap all the holes for the axle hub. it took them ALL day with a small team but they did it.
                up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                eliminator MJ - Sold
                99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

If they didn't have the cash for a winch, they should have at least bough a come along and a good strap. I know my POS one has gotten me out of many situations.
                  1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                  1999 sierra
                  1967 M725 Big and Slow
                  -Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X