This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeepinjosh View Post
    . I know you all hate this but i might get 6.5 inch coils for the front.
    What does it matter what other people care? Run what you want, AND PAY THE CONSEQUENCES!

But for real, put your shit together, flex till it's about to hit something you don't want it to, measure, add bumpstop that big.

Comment

let me put this as bluntly as possible for future people to see...

COIL SPRINGS ALL COMPRESS TO ROUGHLY THE SAME HEIGHT. WHEN YOU FLEX EVEN IF YOU ARE RUNNING 3" COILS OR 6" COILS YOUR TIRE WILL STUFF INTO THE FENDER TO THE SAME PLACE.

caps for effect
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

I know but the 6.5 inch coils will travel alittle more than my 4.5 inch ones so more flexxy that was why i was thinking of the 6.5s.
        no they wont

all 6.5 will net you over 5.5 will be 1" of uptravel.

flex is more determined by suspension setup than coil height
        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
        Originally posted by DizzDizz
        aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
          do not go taller. you can run 3" coils or 6" coils, the tire will still rub the fender exactly the same. just flex it out when its got 35's on it and measure how many inches of bumps you need then put that many hockey pucks in it. done
          I know i have to bumpstop the uptravel but i thought 6.5 inch coils would travel down farther than the 4.5 ? is that not true ?

Comment

I know i have to bumpstop the uptravel but i thought 6.5 inch coils would travel down farther than the 4.5 ? is that not true ?
            it's completely unnecessary.
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

that is not true.
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by 04WranglerX
                I bet sams 5 inch 37" tire setup flexed more than your 6.5 inch coil setup will.
                fixed for better accuracy
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

I get this alot by all of the Jeep people near me. They act as if I am some sort of magician to get my 33's to fit on 3 inches of lift and never rub while they all go around in their rigs with 8 inches and wonder how to get them to stop rubbing. Most people's solution, put spacers and blocks in, more lift.

And to try and explain to the few who don't fully understand lift height...

Lift height is only the idle ride height of the suspension, has almost zero effect on the total flex the vehicle will have. On a coil spring setup flex is limited on uptravel by (hopefully) your bumpstops. On downtravel by your shocks in a perfect world where no other components bind before the shock maxes out, the axle will travel in this arc regardless of what height spring you put on it. Leaf springs are a little less straight forward but it is similar enough, they can be made to flex ok without a ton of height. The height only controls the ratio of up to down travel that you have, and with uptravel you really only need enough to soak up bumps without bottoming out your suspension, which is to say not a huge amount. I only have about 4 inches of shock uptravel and I don't bottom out unless I catch air.

The only other purpose for height is body clearance, I.E. better breakover/departure belly clearance etc... but a milder lift on an XJ will give you enough as long as you armor up properly.

The only time I would say to go for a really tall height is either for show if you want to be a poser or if your rigs only purpose is running deep ass mud bogs.
                  Last edited by iant333; 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM.
                  01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

ok so main thing is just bumpstop correctly. Sorry for asking i just want to do this right make it work. Put up some more pics please guys of your jeeps flexing on 4.5 with 35s.

Comment

35's flexed out on 4.5" lift before i bumpstopped at all

33's flexed out on 4.5" lift

also yes i am rather enjoying looking at pics of my old jeep
                      I drive a Datsun

Comment

If you're creative, you can even fit 78's stock.
                        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                        MK2 Jetta > M3
                        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                          If you're creative, you can even fit 78's stock.
                          by creative you mean seeing rainbows and unicorns while cutting
                          I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                            by creative you mean seeing rainbows and unicorns while cutting
                            MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

I have 3.5-4 with 35s, It rubs on the inner fender I bumpstopped.
                              -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                                I have 3.5-4 with 35s, It rubs on the inner fender I bumpstopped.
                                BFH fixes everything.
                                MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Working...
                                X