No announcement yet.

Spin off of the Fairfield County thread...a question to ponder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be honest, even though I live within yelling distance of Will, I've never heard of people looking down at others because of the fact they work on their own vehicles. I think Will just has a bunch of stupid fucking neighbors.

I don't know. I come from a family where everyone works on their own vehicles or they bring them to my father. It has always been something that people look up to.

I can see where a generalization could come from. Some people who do work on their vehicles think it is A-OK to part 40 cars on their front lawn and have their backyard look like a Salvage yard, backhoe and all.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
      I can see where a generalization could come from. Some people who do work on their vehicles think it is A-OK to part 40 cars on their front lawn and have their backyard look like a Salvage yard, backhoe and all.
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Father is always working on one of the vehicles. Never got any strange looks from any of the neighborhoods I lived in, neither suburban nor less than. I'd have to go with Fairfield thing.
        Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
          i think this is a different side of the spectrum. lots of mechanics or the like don't want to work on personal vehicles or side jobs after work since they do it all day long. i don't blame you for not wanting to mess with the bike
          You dont wanna go home from work to go back to work.... this is my issue I see jeep parts all day when i get home I dont wanna wrench I wanna hammer the shit out of the jeep and hope it doesnt break
          89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
          95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
          97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
          If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

i just don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

I just finised a full day of wrenching, bolted my driveshafts on and tore ass up and down the street a few times. crawled the tree in my front yard. then flicked on the amber, flew to the beach and tore that shit up.

Really though, all my neighbors are tards, so i could care less what they think, cause personally i think you're an idiot if you let someone else work on your car and over pay for everything.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

you can has amber time on da beach??
              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
              MK2 Jetta > M3
              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

i did.
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

hmm i just kinda browsed through these pages but honestly...ive NEVER heard of someone being looked down upon for doing their own work on their vehicle. Most people do as far as I thought. Taking it to a shop is almost known as a way to get your bank account raped and thats about it. Being able to take care of your own car is a respected thing in a way for having that knowledge....in high school we used to beg the people that knew what they were doing to help us out if something was flookey. i blame tuckahoe lane
                  2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
                  J10 project do want.
                  "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

Almost every dealership or repair facility i have worked always treats the mechanic with the least respect out of anyone.when we work the hardest and have the most technical job at the dealership,customers and every other person there look down on you because you get dirty workin.Even workin at home in the middle of the day a neighbor would continuously set the horn of on their car when i was usin air tools.Heres to all of em.

Comment

just about everyone I know looks down upon me and my dad fixing our own shit, they are always like...will it be fixed correctly, we do the same shit the dealer or a shop would. BUt yes, I would also like to know why people have this view.
                      1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

Originally posted by Keelyle View Post
                        Side note, people with nice cars are cheap as hell. I put more nice name brand tires on lower quality or average quality then i do on the lincolns, mercedes, bmws, cadillacs etc. They all buy cheap ass made in china tires. But farmer john will come in and buy goodyears or coopers, or bfgs or mastercrafts or toyo etc for their beat up truck.
                        so true! at the shop I worked at over the winter some guy brought in his new mercedes and all he wanted was an oil change, so while I was under it I noticed that there was grease splattered ALL over the inside of one of the wheels..his axle was shot...he didn't believe me or any of the other mechanics and he refused to pay for a new shaft..why buy a snazzy car if
                        you're not going to keep it nice?

and anyone who looks down on anyone who works on their own vehicles is obviously a jackass. most people these days are just afraid of a little hard work/getting their hands dirty anyways.
                        erika. sweat and dirt;

00 xj & 93 yj.

Comment

Yes, there is the "You don't have the money to take it to the shop/dealer. That means you are poor, and therefore aren't as good as I am, because I don't have to waste my own time fixing my car, I just simply have some trained monkey fix it for me..." mindset.

There is also the "Only poor rednecks fix their own cars" mindset...

I think that most of the judgments come from people that:

1) Think money is just a way of proving they are better than others.

2) Have a degree, and think that a license or certification is for lesser minds.

3) Have no clue how to work on a car, but if they had an interest in it, could build one from scratch if they just took the time to read the manual.

I feel that a lot of people feel that the only reason a person would ever work on their own car is because they can't afford to take it to the dealership to fix it the right way. If I'm a wealthy man, that make tons of money because of my superior intellect (and that's all they think it is, even the biggest moron at the office thinks that he makes more money because he is smarter than the plumber, mechanic, landscaper, etc...), and a car confuses me, then how can the "simple" people expect to fix their cars right unless they work directly for the car company that created the car, and since mechanics are obviously lower on the intellectual ladder, they will need refreshers, classes, courses and updates every couple of months or so on top of seeing the same cars with the same problems over and over again.

If a mechanic that works at a dealership, get tons of training, hands on experience, and never stops working on the same cars, can't even fix your car the right way in the first ten minutes they see it, then how can somebody possibly be able to fix their car in their own driveway with only hand tools and without all the manufacturers training on that specific car? It has to be impossible! Anyone that fixes their own car is a poor simpleton that will do more damage than good!

Remember that even welfare people take their cars to the shop, because even they are smart enough to know that only a pro can do the job right.... granted not everyone can take it to a specialty shop or dealership, but at least "Joe's" down the street is always working on cars, and if they mess up, you can still sue them, unlike yourself.

That's my take on it at least.
                          Last edited by bucketokarma; 08-27-2010, 03:26 PM.
                          Shane "The Bag" Carlson

2.5L TJ, 5-speed, frankenlift, and stuff.
                          My "Bucket" Build
                          MilitaryJeepers.com
                          ‚——P--;===±--= <-
                          !‚–’¯ƒ¹¶

Comment

Working...
                          X