Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jana 76 & 54

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=914583&page=9

Just found this thread looks interesting.

For the cliff notes:
    You can install D50 gears in a HP D44 housing and you can install D70 gears in a HP D60 housing.
    They both sets have the same Hypoid offset, don't know about the pinion depth.
    From the pinion depth tool instructions.
    http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...etting_Kit.pdf

MHD (Master housing depth so bottom of the pinion)
    D44 4.312
    D50 4.616
    D60 5.000
    D70 5.375

So I don't know if they are using different bearings.

The housing needs grinding to fit the larger gears.

I'm not sure about the depth I think it said something about different bearing.

He did say the D70 gears on a D60 carrier need to be redrilled and a spacer ring to center the gear.
    I did not find anything about the D50 gears on a D44 only that you need the high speed carrier break because the D50 doesn't use a carrier break.

I'll need to do some more investigation but looks cool.
    I have a D50 and a HP44 in my garage right now I'll get some measurements when I get some free time.

I just wanted to know if anyone has done this before or if you know someone who has?

~Justin
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Second look
    Looks like he steps the bearing race and adds a spacer for the preload bearing, to make the pinion deeper.

Last edited by customcreationsllc; 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

i was reading up on this yesterday, pretty interesting...
      Originally posted by Ktmracer419
      some people choose video games
      some choose projects
      some choose welding random things together

Comment

sounds interesting. but probably way over most of the heads round here. i mean i can gear an axle but thats crazy
        #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

saw this too in my searching after i talked to you about gears in a high pinion rear. Cool stuff.
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Cool shtuff You were telling me about this the other day at your garage.
            Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

This is not swapping out center sections I've done that before.

This is actually installing larger gears in a smaller housing so putting Dana 50 gears so a 9" gear in a D44 housing which is supposed tot take 8.5" gear.

And D70 10.5" gear in a D60 housing which uses 9.75" gear

He sells kits to install the larger gears probably different bearings and spacers of such.

I have a D50 and a D44 in my garage so I hope to have time over the weekend to see how much is different.

For comparison he had this on his page.

Model........Ring gear size".....Max momentary output torque FT-lb
              D30...............7.125.............2350
              D35...............7.562.............2500
              D35 super.......7.79..............2700
              Toy 8"............8.0 ................NA
              D44................8.5...............3460
              GM 10B...........8.6...............4500
              GM 12B...........8.875..............NA
              D50................9.0................5000
              D60 30sp........9.75...............5500
              D60 HD 35 sp...9.75...............6000
              D70...............10.5................8000
              D70 HD...........10.5...............8800
              D80...............11.0.............10,000
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

What axle do you want? 60,50,44,30

OK so I had a couple beers got the heat fired up in the garage and decided to ripped apart the D50

Amazingly the D50 pinion uses the same ID bearings on both sides as the D44.
                And same splines for the Yoke.

D44 on top D50 on bottom

And the D50 ring gear has the same ID as the D44 and the same bolt pattern.
                So the D50 gear fits directly on the D44 housing only issue is the D50 ring gear uses larger diameter bolts but that would be easy to open up the D44 carrier bolt holes from 3/8 to 7/16.

D50 Ring gear on 44 carrier

D44 and D50 ring gear

So all I need to do is recess the Pinion .304" deeper into the housing and it should work.
                Got to love lazy engineers.

Next is to get a D50 gear set setup in a D44 housing.
                ~Justin
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

thats some pretty sweet engineering actually
                  dirty30

Comment

this d44-d50 thing is only for reverse cut stuff amiright??? so no xj d44 swapage??
                    2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                    • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                    • 5.13's
                    • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                    • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

I believe D50 only came in reverse pinion.

Some more fun facts.

I just disassembled my what I was told was a 79 F150 HP D44 front axle.
                      Even more lazy engineers I know because I do the same thing.
                      The Axle seal in the D44 has the same OD as the 2000 F250 D50.

Also the D50 with the necked down 30 spline still uses the same ID seal as the D60 for the Super duty, 89 King Pin and 94 Ball joint 60s all used the same ID seal cannot confirm OD yet I only have the inner axles.

I just need to figure out how to recces the pinion .304" (based on book numbers) into the housing and then get the grinder going.
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Thsi is sick Justin, after seeing the gearsets in person it is a little more apparent the size differences, the d50 ring has alot more meat on it than the d44
                        dirty30

Comment

I e-mailed ARB asking if they can build me a 35 spline Dana 50 locker, instead of swapping the housings.

Their reply

Hi Justin,
                          this will be possible in the future. The current RD50 Air Locker is of the older 3 piece design and does not have interchangeability with a current model Dana 44 ARB which means there are no 35 spline gears available for it. The RD50 will very likely be redesigned sometime next year and when that happens it will be capable of handling 30, 33, and 35 spline side gears for the different shafts. Unfortunately at the moment we do not have anything available.
                          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Then I gots to thinking.
                            I might be able to take a 35Spline D60 spool and turn it down to fit in a D44 housing with D50 gears.

I can use the same bearings that ARB uses which has an increased ID with the same OD. Strong and much lighter than an ARB and if I don't destroy the Spool it will be cheaper.

Anyone have a D60 35 spline spool for cheap?
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2204977...=263602_304662
                              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                              X