Jana 76 & 54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For an update.
    Kind of like not having a working Xbox I get more work done.
    Anyways.

I used my the long probe along with the magnet for the pinion head so the measurements are not the Pinion depth but as long as I did the same for both it doesn't matter I'm just looking for the difference. The difference came out to .319 so I need to recess the D50 pinion .319" further into the housing for it to mate up correctly to its ring gear.
    This does not include removing shims.

I measured the Pinion Head Depth of the D50 pinion head in a D50 housing.
    .875"

Then I swapped the bearings see below and measured the D50 pinion head in a D44 housing. And it was .556 for a difference of .319.

The D50 is a +2 and the D44 is a +3
    Now the D50 is shimmed under the pinion bearing and the D44 is shimmed under the race. So I removed the Pinion shim when I swapped bearings plus I installed the Oil slinger. The master Head depth Difference from above is .304 close I don't know if oil slinger baffels or different bearings made a difference.

50 left, 44 right

Removing bearings

50 left, 44 right

D44 bearings installed on D50 pinion (Left)

To believe it or not. The D44 has larger OD bearings for both the Pinion Main bearings and the carrier bearing I did not compare Pinion preload bearings did not take it out of the D50 yet.
    Also Compared the Seals and they all look to have the same OD I didn't do the best job removing them but they look straight enough to compare.
    D44 (79 F250) D50 (2000 F250) D60 (89 F350)

D44 seal on D50

D44 Seal on D60
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I got it set up.

The pinion obviously had to go deeper by measurements it needs .320 deeper.
      The total shims stack with baffles and oil slinger ad up to about .070

I looked at the Jana picture it looks to me he cuts the race when I measured it up the corner of the race gets extremely thin. Past the step the bearing isn't supported I don't think it can take much load that way.

I found a bearing with the same ID/OD that was shorter by .220 It has about 8% less load capacity but the D50 bearing is even smaller at 11% less load capacity. So I figure it would be alright, I'm not against replacing bearings once a year.

But .220 even with out any shims is still not enough.
      So I made the bearing thinner under the bearing head so this should not effect load capacity. I went until it will start hitting the cage, all the way pushed up I probably could have taken off more because once the race is in place the cage cannot move as far.

How do you cut a bearing pretty hard right.
      How do you hold a bearing, my lathe cannot hold the ID of such a small hole.

Started thinking D50 D44 D30 all use the same ID bearings, I had an old D30 pinion I decided to sacrifice I can hold that in the lath and press on the bearing.

A die grinder can cut a bearing if I can only mount one to my lathe.

So I removed the oil slinger and the baffle figure with all the angles and crap I will get enough oil to the pinion. So I took off about .050 and used about .020 shims.
      Now that the pinion sits deeper I need to move the Pinion preload race out .320 so I just made a spacer. I'm no sure what to do about the pinion seal yet I'll have to wait and see what it looks like.

With the pinion depth set I went onto the ring gear.
      The D50 ring gear is a little bit larger than the D44 I had to grind off about 1/8 in 3 spot top bottom and near the pinion I plan on thickening the case with weld later.
      You have all seen a grinder no real rocket science here.

The carrier holes just needed to be opened up to 7/16 not a big deal you have all seen a drill before.

But when I went to install the carrier the ring gear is took close to the pinion even with no shims.
      I then looked up bearings they sell the same bearing with a shorter race but it is .125 shorter I didn't feel like making a spacer so put the carrier bearing on the lathe and did the same thing I did to the pinion bearing. But this time I had to turn down a chunk of metal to press a bearing on.
      I guessed at .020 and when I installed it I had about .005 of backlash,
      So I figure that is good when I install the preload shims I can get it between .006 to .010

In the end I got a good gear pattern. This is a used set of gears and I measure the depths so I know it is the same as before.

Here you can see the D50 gears in the D44 housing.
      Looks good, no need to shave this housing.

A little better than the OEM D50

I have a lot more to do to this axle before I'm finished but at least the gears can be setup.

~Justin
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

you are officially the axle gearing ninja... nice work so far!

Comment

Working...
        X