What type of primer do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of primer do i need?

I'm painting the jeep this coming week, and i need to figure out what type of primer i need for this kit..

http://www.paintforcars.com/kits_sapphirebluemet.html

My dad told me i can use certain types of primer for certain types of paint. Since this is enamel, do i need to spend the ~$60 on primer? I'm doing a one stage finish and im not cutting corners on this job.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

If you're not cutting corners, it wouldn't hurt to prime it, especially if you're painting it to get rid of bare spots in the paint. The whole purpose of a primer is to give a uniform surface for the actual color paint to bind on.
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
      If you're not cutting corners, it wouldn't hurt to prime it, especially if you're painting it to get rid of bare spots in the paint. The whole purpose of a primer is to give a uniform surface for the actual color paint to bind on.
      Im planning on priming it, but do i need to spend alot of money on the fancy shit?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Buy automotive primer in a spray can, most auto parts store's sell it. Thats what i used and it came out nice and dandy. The cheaper stuff will work from the hardware store too.

Mostly all modern paints are compatible, your issue is mixing it on like older cars that used acrylic stuff.
        01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Shitty paint is exactly that. it doesnt shoot well, blend as well, or hold up as well as better stuff
          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

I just got a new air compressor, and we have some primer left over from when we sprayed our dump truck. So what you're saying is, as long as i use any type of primer, it will adhere right? and i don't need to spend a ton of money on specific Acrylic to enamel lacquer

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
              I just got a new air compressor, and we have some primer left over from when we sprayed our dump truck. So what you're saying is, as long as i use any type of primer, it will adhere right? and i don't need to spend a ton of money on specific Acrylic to enamel lacquer
              What im saying is that as long as the primer isnt specifically for acrylic then it will work.

Acrylic hasnt been used on cars since like 1950. Most shitty stuff you buy at the hardware store is enamel and so is the expensive stuff but it should bond better and sand out smoother. I bought the super duper premium in a can stuff and it sanded out smooth as glass but the paint bonded to it great.

I'd definately prime it especially if the paint you are going over is old and shitty or discolored in spots, otherwise it can show through and make the new paint look crappy.
              Last edited by iant333; 08-12-2010, 07:54 PM.
              01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Thanks mang

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

are you repainting it the same color?
                  1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                  2001 wj tbd
                  1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                    are you repainting it the same color?
                    no, im going from black, to sapphire blue.( dark but not as dark as black)

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Do you have an air dryer plumbed in? water in the lines/paint makes a fucking mess and a half.
                      1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                      1999 sierra
                      1967 M725 Big and Slow
                      -Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X