87 mj wont turn over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 mj wont turn over.

I'm down on vacation in SC and my grandfathers mj wont start. It won't even turn over. He started it up yesterday no problem, and now when we turn the key, only the brake light comes on then the electric fan starts (its wired permanently ) and when we turn the key it does nothing. I think it might be the computer but idk where it is. Any help is appreciated, I know you guys will have some info.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

OK this may sound stupid, but DM didn't start for a few days because the throttle was stuck wide open, check that before anything else...
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

OK, ill check that out. We don't really know where to start besides cleaning the battery terminals and banging the starter and whatnot so I'm open to any suggestions, thanks.

Comment

Try to start it in neutral?
        God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

fuel pump?

X2 on the throttle thing, my MJ did that a few times.
          2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
          MK2 Jetta > M3
          Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
            Try to start it in neutral?
            No luck, as for the fuel pump it was just put in a couple weeks ago so I doubt its that. I'm leaning towards the ecu because he's been telling me about what its been doing with the not starting on and off and whatnot and I think it could be beat up. I just don't know where it is, its not in the engine bay. Its got a 97 zj engine in It so I'm assuming it has one somewhere..

Comment

Neutral safety switch

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                Neutral safety switch
                Nope, its clean and new. I jumped the starter solenoid and it just wound, it didn't crank over. Well after screwing with it for a bit we found one of the wires to the starter harness was disconnected so we got it back on there and it fired right up. Thanks for the input guys. it sucked cuz I didn't take my jeep down here and the manche wasn't running but now I get to cruise around in it for a few days, this thing runs like a top

Comment

Roll start?
                  1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
                  1988 Cherokee Limited - The Real Cherokee
                  2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

Working...
                  X