Starting work on my 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting work on my 44

alright so i been lettin this thing sit around forever now, and the weather is gettin nicer so i'm gonna start getting the housing stripped and get ready to mount the perches, etc.

its a fullwidth 44 out of a 77 ford f-150(discs motha facka), with wedges.... thats my question. am i safe to just hack them off???
    Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 03-10-2009, 11:34 AM.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

are they cast or welded?
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

if it has the cast wedges... which im pretty sure on the f150s it does..... get a different 44 and save yourself the hassle...... not saying that it cant be done... but unless you wana run a ford radius arm... its easier/better to use a 44 with solid tubes....

but if im wrong and it has welded leaf mounts... ya got yourself a good starting point
      Originally posted by Ktmracer419
      some people choose video games
      some choose projects
      some choose welding random things together

Comment

A hybrid Dana 44 is a lot of work to match up you need like 3 different axles to get a high pinion, flat top knuckles and larger u-joints.
        I would go straight to a Dana 60 you will not regret it.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

they're cast...... i picked up this 44 quite a while ago. i dont kno if its worth it trying to hack them off and weld some plate in their place or just say screw it and find something new.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

get a 60 /thread

i know i wish i had the money for one

Comment

i dont even have the money for this build. i'm just bored.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                A hybrid Dana 44 is a lot of work to match up you need like 3 different axles to get a high pinion, flat top knuckles and larger u-joints.
                I would go straight to a Dana 60 you will not regret it.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm
                well this is what i have: high pinion, larger u-joints, i kno cause i measured when i had the 760's before they went into my xj, its 31 spline, the locking hubs work (checked that today).

my plan is to get the wedges off, ( did the driver side tonight, was no problem). do a lot of grinding then weld patches over the holes. by the time i get all the work done on the housing so it can bolt-up. i should have enough to make my own set of longarms and afford gears and maybe even chromolly shafts.

thats the plan anyway.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by greenxj513 View Post
                  its 31 spline,
                  its 30 spline inners 19 spline outers
                  www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

just remeber you either have to build up link mounts and coil buckets that somehow dont get welded to the cast, or be brave and weld to the cast and have a possible week point...
                    imho... not worth your effort to build that axle...

just my 2 cents....
                    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                    some people choose video games
                    some choose projects
                    some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                      its 30 spline inners 19 spline outers
                      yea i know..... wasn't paying attention when i was typing.... thanks though
                      Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                      just remeber you either have to build up link mounts and coil buckets that somehow dont get welded to the cast, or be brave and weld to the cast and have a possible week point...
                      imho... not worth your effort to build that axle...

just my 2 cents....

i drew up a truss that would hopefully eliminate that problem. idk what i'm doing to it yet really, i'm not putting any money into at the moment, just doing stuff to it, cause i got nothing better to do.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Working...
                      X