Popping after gear install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping after gear install?

I was driving around in the jeep today putting some miles on the new gears, when suddenly after i started to accelerate, the right rear passenger(drive tire i believe) started to making a popping noise, it almost sounds like when you put a card in a bicycle spoke. After i drove it some more, it went away then came back after about 20 mins of driving.

I don't want to drive it and cause damage but with it being OERIII weekend, i probably wont be able to get much help.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

have you pulled the cover to check the diff fluid or anything?

Comment

no, it's been on for about a week, topped it off yesterday, and today it seemed to get hot and drizzle out the vent thing and drip onto the ground. Planning on re doing the fluid in synthetic on sunday.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I would stop driving it and pull the cover off before you fuck it up any worse. Is it locked
        I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
          I would stop driving it and pull the cover off before you fuck it up any worse. Is it locked
          No, it's a completely open carrier.

I test drove it to my dead end and it wasn't popping when accelerating, but it did pop when i got on the breaks pretty hard.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

who set up the gears?

i would pop the cover and see if anything is out of the ordinary, then check the backlash (easily done with a dial indicator) when the gears heat up and cool down they expand and contract. In theory they could be binding up if the backlash is too tight.
            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
              who set up the gears?

i would pop the cover and see if anything is out of the ordinary, then check the backlash (easily done with a dial indicator) when the gears heat up and cool down they expand and contract. In theory they could be binding up if the backlash is too tight.
              Im gonna pop it all off tomorrow when i do the fluids, i think its one of my leaf spring bushings. When i shake the back of the jeep side to side, i can hear a bit of popping

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Sprayed the bushings with silicone, and so far it hasn't made noise again.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                X