Getting a 242 out of 4wd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a 242 out of 4wd

Today i was testing out the 4 low and making sure everything gets used easily before i take it wheeling on the new gears. I put it into 4 low and went to put it into 2, the light shut off and when making a turn realized im still in 4 hi. Ended up going forwards and backwards for like 10 min until the 4 Part time light came on, then went forwards, neutral, reverse, neutral and it came out.

Any easy ways to get it out besides crawling under and manually moving the linkage?
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

mine has done the same thing and i have a 242, i just move the lever back n forth while its in neutral and then i put it in reverse and that does it

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
      Today i was testing out the 4 low and making sure everything gets used easily before i take it wheeling on the new gears. I put it into 4 low and went to put it into 2, the light shut off and when making a turn realized im still in 4 hi. Ended up going forwards and backwards for like 10 min until the 4 Part time light came on, then went forwards, neutral, reverse, neutral and it came out.

Any easy ways to get it out besides crawling under and manually moving the linkage?
      adjust your linkage
      up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
      eliminator MJ - Sold
      99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
      Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

NP242 4wd fork is spring loaded meaning it doesn't matter if you shift it back and forth or not if the shifter is in the correct spot then the fork is spring loaded to move into the correct spot once the drive train bind is freed up. Same deal from going to 2wd to 4wd. just put it where you want once it unbinds it will pop into gear.

So try switching between forward and reverse.
        4wd has to shift between 4wd part time and full time so it might take a little while to unbind.

Low range fork is not spring loaded, the 4wd fork is.

FYI
        NP231 4wd fork is spring loaded out to get out of gear only so same deal with that coming out of 4wd but the 231 low range fork is not spring loaded. But the 231 is synchronized into 4wd.
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
        X