After market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After market?

After taking both diff covers off on my xj, The one for the dana 30 looks really beefy compared to the one on the 8.8. Do the dana 30 ones come this thick? can anyone identify it?

God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Most stock front covers are a little bit thicker than the rear...Back in the day guys with a 44 rear used a factory front 44 cover for a little added beef on the cheap.
    2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
    • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
    • 5.13's
    • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
    • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

8.8 stock cover is like aluminum foil
      Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post
        8.8 stock cover is like aluminum foil
        I had to put it in the vice, and tighten it to get the bottom to bend back.

And if this is as beefy as people say, ill leave the front and maybe just buy a rear cover

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I am not saying that the front is beef... by all means GET A NEW front cover... after all it is the one that hits the rocks head on. Unfortunately I dont believe there is a front 8.8 cover that is"beefier"than stock. So you should most def either beef up the lower portion of your stock 8.8 cover or get a beef one so it doesn't peel like a banana on a rock or stump.
          2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
          • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
          • 4.0/42rle/np241or
          • 5.13's
          • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
          • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

When i went to pull the d30 cover off, i had to hammer on a socket cause the bolts were smashed so bad, but the cover has no marks on it. I deff plan on getting a cover for the 8.8, but that will be done when i paint the jeep in mid august. But how would you beef it without getting a new cover? My buddy dan bent some tube to make like a rock gaurd, but don't see how that would stop peeling?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Yea that's definately a stocker cover.

Ruffstuff makes some kickass diff covers, I got one for my 8.25 and it measures out to 3/8th thick and weighs like 15 pounds, or the SOLID ones are ok and half the price. Either way i'd get rid of the stock cover in back, as an experiment I hit my old rear one with a hammer and with a small ball peen hammer I could dent it all the way to the ground.

I've heard any sort of diff protection short of a new cover is a waste so i would just forget the whole "rock guard" thing and save for good full cover.
              Last edited by iant333; 07-31-2010, 07:44 PM.
              01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Stock 30 cover holds up fairly well IMO. I mean it cant hurt to get a better one but theyre not bad.... Now the 8.8 on the other hand is tin and peals extremely easy... I learned that one on CV hill
                89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

there's a few places that make 8.8 covers, like what other said, get your d30 cover and go for the 8.8 after or both at the same time.

Comment

I've never had a problem with the 30 cover, it gets smashed on rocks every single time i wheel. The first time i got stuck, i peeled the 8.8 cover back really bad, and didn't realize it till i went to my car after school, and there was a puddle of gear oil in the school parking spot. And it just bends easily so ill prolly either make a skid plate to go from the cover to the carrier so the bottom isn't exposed.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

As they said, the stock 30 cover is relatively stout. Will has had the same stock cover forever without much of an issue. However, it can't hurt to get a new one. Go with Solid, Ruffstuff, or Riddler, pretty much whichever is cheapest. I got my solid cover for 60 bucks on sale for my D30.
                      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

if you have issues peeling over the stock covers

just trim the bottom off a little bit so it doesnt hang below the housing
                        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I need a new 30 cover and i blame Andrew
                          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                            if you have issues peeling over the stock covers

just trim the bottom off a little bit so it doesnt hang below the housing
                            The thing is, a rock slides along the bottom of the case, and once it hits the cover, it peels upwards. Im gonna put a thin gauge of steel along the bottom the the cover/case to eliminate the gap that gets caught

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

or you could trim it so it doesnt hang below the housing
                              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X