help! tranny trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! tranny trouble.

So on my way to Newport for work this morning I'm on the highway and my revs jump from 2 to 4 and stay at 4. So I shifted into neutral and played with the gas but it was just not shifting. Well now its stuck in like 2nd or 3rd, I've been using 1 2 3 to get going and then putting it in drive just to get around for now. Anyone have any idea what it could be? A switch or a sensor or something? Thanks.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Sounds like it is in limp mode,
    Limp mode will usually put a tranny into only one gear like 2nd or 3rd.

Hard to tell what sensor it is with out being able to check the signals with a scope or using a scanner.

You can play the guessing game, but that gets expensive.
    I don't know off hand what sensors are required for the transmission computer.

Check for all the stupid stuff first like wire connections or melted wires. I think the tranny uses the speedo your speedo work? Look at a wiring diagram start checking stuff.

If it goes into gear by manually shifting it the the internals are good.
    You can always make your own shifter box.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

The speedo is working fine. It will manually shift into 12 and 3rd. Sorry I should've put more info its a 96 xj 4wd auto aw4. I'm just worried about getting home, I can screw with it there but I'm at work right now and since it was working so hard on the highway it was starting to run really hot.

Comment

Ill probably stop by aamco since they'll scan it for free and their scanners are pretty specific. At least then ill be able to know where to start...

Comment

sounds like the shift solenoids are bad, usually if you can shift it manually the solenoids are not doing there jobs
          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

The solenoids are working if you shift it maually as well. I would guess TCM.

Comment

I have a 96 XJ TCM if you want to test it before you buy one.

Located in Naugatuck CT might be a little far for you.
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
                The solenoids are working if you shift it maually as well. I would guess TCM.
                i had the issue where i was able to shift it manually but not when it does it alone solenoids cleared it right up
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

Turns out my upper radiator hose had worn out near the clamp and was spraying fluid everywhere, including all over the solenoids and wires and tyranny harnesses. That's also why it was running so hot the past few weeks. I took my plumbing torch to the wet areas before leaving and sure enough my trannys back to normal and my engines running back at temp.

Comment

Working...
                  X