proportioning valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proportioning valves

can you guys educate me on proportioning valves a bit? i am in the heat of my axle swap and this is the second to last part that i need but i don't really know which one i should get. i found some from summit racing for around 40 dollars which is cheap and they are adjustable. it would really help if anyone that has one of these could offer some advice hopefully. thanks guys
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

rear disc brakes?

get a zj proportioning valve (with discs)

you can swap the whole thing or just swap out the guts
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

I installed a ZJ prop valve to go with my rear discs, you can spend all the money on some crazy adjustable one, but even with swapped brakes the ZJ one should work fine as long as you have discs front and rear.
      01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
        rear disc brakes?

get a zj proportioning valve (with discs)

you can swap the whole thing or just swap out the guts
        I think you actually need to swap the whole thing, I just moved the valve thingy with the o-ring on it (no idea what ts actually called) over to mine and it spat brake fluid all over my engine compartment. I dont think they are compatible.

Comment

ive swapped the guts before with success
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by iant333 View Post
            I think you actually need to swap the whole thing, I just moved the valve thingy with the o-ring on it (no idea what ts actually called) over to mine and it spat brake fluid all over my engine compartment. I dont think they are compatible.
            FWIW i did exactly what you described and it worked fine on my XJ when i did the prop valve stuff
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

I pulled the oring off my stock valve and got good stopping power.

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                ive swapped the guts before with success
                Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                FWIW i did exactly what you described and it worked fine on my XJ when i did the prop valve stuff
                Guess something was screwed up then.

Comment

yes you need to remove the o-ring from the check valve on the drum brake proportioning valve.

Drum brakes use about 12psi residual pressure check valve to counter the drum brake springs.
                  Disc brakes don't need residual pressure unless the master is lower than the calipers then they sell 2 psi check valves.

By removing the check valve o-ring it cannot hold the pressure back turning into a disc brake proportioning valve. The Pirate brake bible, has some good information.

The proportioning valve is also a called a combination valve because it also has a spool valve the shifts over if you blow a line to prevent you brake fluid from draining out. This also triggers the switch.

Your best cheapest way out remove the O-ring really only takes a minute then if you need to change the front/rear bias by the $40 summit adjustable brake proportioning valve. I've done this a few times very simple.

I've taken a few proportioning valves apart I cannot figure out how it actually proportions the front to rear. Any help here?
                  RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                  www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                  Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                  X