thoughts on a ford 44 and 9in out of a full size bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on a ford 44 and 9in out of a full size bronco

i have been look for full widths recently, i came across a 44 and 9in from a 79 bronco. think these would make good donor axles, 37's are probably the biggest i will go

*looks at Doug's jeep*
    Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Ideally you'd want to find a set of axles out of a 76 bronco which were narrow width 44/9

Comment

78-79's were 60 in, 76's are 58
        Last edited by Pete; 06-30-2010, 02:26 PM.

Comment

why do you want to go full width?

why not just go 44hp/d60

they are around and cheap compared to a d60
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

dana 44 u-joint = dana 30 u-joint. jus sayin...

I also don't exactly see the desire to be full width unless it comes with beef axles (60 front).

Comment

I can buy a set of 78/79 Ford high pinion 60s for $800, guy I know is selling them. Think that would be the best route?

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                why do you want to go full width?

why not just go 44hp/d60

they are around and cheap compared to a d60
                I want to go spring over with stock height springs, should put me where I am at now spring under with 5 in springs and shackles. Would like to keep it wide and stable. I have not broken anything on my 44/30 combo yet but want some width and not be worried about hammering it more

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  I can buy a set of 78/79 Ford high pinion 60s for $800, guy I know is selling them. Think that would be the best route?
                  78-79 ford Is the most sought after front 60. 800 isn't a bad price if they are in decent shape but I bought mine for 400 bucks in not terrible shape. The rear really isn't worth much. The shafts are puny.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    if you found a high pinion rear. BUY IT!

but this might just be a typo.

thats a good price for the pair if they are in halfway decent shape. you can bore out the spindles in the rear pretty easily and stick some 35 spline alloys in there for pretty cheap.

as for the 44 front debate. I loved it on 37's until i broke it every wheeling run one winter. and so far it has proved to be pretty bombproof on 35's. alloys and good u joints are a must.
                    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                      dana 44 u-joint = dana 30 u-joint. jus sayin...

I also don't exactly see the desire to be full width unless it comes with beef axles (60 front).
                      Like everyone knows there is nothing between weak 30/44 u-joints and the stronger 60 joints.

You can go with 30/44 RCV shafts which is only as strong as a stock D60.

37 are pushing the limit on the small axles especially if it isn't in an ultra light buggy.

If you are going to wheel hard go with a 60 no one ever regrets getting larger axles. Might be a larger investment up front but cheaper down the road. And good trail insurance.
                      Think how easy it is to high steer a D60 and how many options you have for all parts.

You can buy every bling D44 piece off the bat just to give you a chance or run stock 60 stuff and upgrade as needed which one is cheaper??

And if you do plan on going another path a D60 is worth something.

FYI I snapped a D60 stock outer on 35" tires at least I can upgrade that. If your start snapping chromoly 44 shafts your finished upgrading.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
                      After all it's your money you make the final decision, you know best of what you want out of your rig, and what will make your happy.

~Justin
                      Last edited by customcreationsllc; 07-03-2010, 10:16 AM.
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post

FYI I snapped a D60 stock outer on 35" tires at least I can upgrade that. If your start snapping chromoly 44 shafts your finished upgrading.

~Justin
                        i have looked into upgrading 44 outers. and it is possible to run 30 spline outers. but you are still stuck with the same size u joints after all the money you spent. i would rather snap an outer before a u joint.

One thing i recently learned about is portals on a 44. INTENSE ground clearance and the 44 has virtually no stress on it. not sure how they would be at speed or street driving though....
                        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                        X