35s on a 8.25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35s on a 8.25

I would like to run 35s when i gear my jeep. Will the 8.25 rear handle 35s well ? Also what else will i have to do or should i do to be safe.

Thanks guys trying to plan this get it done by end of summer.

not recommended. 27 or 29 spline? Wouldnt even consider it on 27 spline. They make alloy's for em but I really wouldnt waste money on that axle. Go for a 44 or an 8.8.

Comment

Locked? Geared?
      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        27 or 29 spline?

Honestly Josh, I wouldn't even bother. If I were you, I would jump right up to finding an 8.8 that already has 4.10s from the factory and have someone help you weld up the new bracketry. Throw some 4.10's in your d30, and do whatever you want with lockers. Andrew (Cumminsjeep) just finished this swap in his jeep not too long ago.

After you're done gearing and locking the 8.25, you've already thrown a lot of money at an axle that really isn't cut out for that tire size.

Comment

I've heard that supposedly the 29 spline alloy shafts are about as strong as the stock d44 shafts, and the 8.25 ring gear is only a little smaller than a d44's. I run mine locked on 33's and haven't broken anything yet with the stock shafts, just bought alloys though.

I dont know if I'd trust it on bigger tires than what I have basically.
          01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

without a lot of work, i wouldn't do it. It would be easieer and cheaper to find an 8.8 geared to 4.10 already and weld on spring perches.
            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
            MK2 Jetta > M3
            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

screw all deez guyzzzzzz

i rocked a welded 29 spline on 35x13.50s and beat the ever living shit out of it.
              i wouldnt worry bout it.

in fact i loved that axle so much i did the same damn thing again and still beat the shit out of it on 33s.......
              Originally posted by Ktmracer419
              some people choose video games
              some choose projects
              some choose welding random things together

Comment

The 29ers are relatively stout axles. I'd rock it on 35's. I have never seen one of those shafts break and have seen them beat pretty hard. Yokes on the other hand...
                P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                  The 29ers are relatively stout axles. I'd rock it on 35's. I have never seen one of those shafts break and have seen them beat pretty hard. Yokes on the other hand...
                  Yeah my broken yoke count is now 3, my other broken 8.25 part count is 0. Gear it low if you keep it.
                  01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

I have a feeling the new thing for this club is going to be 8.8's with 4.10's in them. Way to go Andrew
                    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

honestly for what you got, i second what andy said. just put the 35's on it, weld it and call it a day. not everyone has the 1500 bucks-ish to regear two axles and run something all new out back. you'll be fine with that one assuming its 29 spline.
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

i wouldnt weld it.
                        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                        Originally posted by DizzDizz
                        aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          i wouldnt weld it.
                          This. C-Clips suck.
                          sigpic
                          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Just do it. and hammer down.
                            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Im not sure what the big deal is about the c-clips..you can take the carrier out to weld it and leave it so you can still switch axles in and out. You could always run a powertrax locker or an aussie, those are cheap and easy..as far as re-gearing it..I think 4.10's on 35's would be a waste of time, unless you got them for free..go 4.56 or 4.88 if they are available.
                              98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Working...
                              X