Squeeky Why-j

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeeky Why-j

So I put the 36s on my jeep monday and my jeep started making a new sound. It sounds like serpentine belt whine but does not relate to engine load or rpm changes and is louder in back of the cab than in front.
    I spent the cash and swapped out the belt last night but the noise is still there. It seems to happen less with the stock tires than with the 36s but i am not thinking bearing cause it doesn't relate to cornering. oh yeah, when i stick my head out the window i do not hear it as loud as i can inside the cab, ican't localize it to front or rear drivers or passenger side.

Anyone out there got any ideas? Does the trans or transfer case run a belt?
    Please help!
    If you can buy the parts in a store, is it realy custom?
    -T.M.

Plans: dodge bullets.

does it happen all the time or just when you hit a bump? or better yet, only when you coast and not when giving it gas?
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

if your tcase is a 231 which it most likely is, than its chain driven. but i doubt that would be it. and if a wheel bearing is going on it, it would sound like you are running a super swamper on there. is it like a belt squeak? or like something is rattling around inside the cab making a squeaky noise haha

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

replies

It seems completely random, hapens on uphill, downhill, coasting, accelerating, turning and going straight. It seems like its drive train related because it mostly happens when moving but reving the engine at a stop light has caused the squeal but i haven't tried that since changing the serpentine belt so that may have been a seperate issue.

The noise is very similar to a belt squeel but slightly quieter and louder inside the truck than out (read can't hear squeel with head out window)
        -T.M.

Comment

ha this is weird. since you said you cant hear it outside the jeep, its making me wonder haha. thats why i said it may just be something stupid rattling around inside the cab

Comment

Rattling

Good thinking on the rattle, Ill take the dropped tools and Mcdonalds wrappers out and give it a garden hosing and see if anything changes.

I might even add a bolt or two to the hard top just in case.
            -T.M.

Comment

haha good luck!!!

Comment

lol @ diagnosing squeaks on the internet.
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

My hardtop squeaks if its not bolted down well enough. try tightening the bolts, then get back to us. and do you have a CV driveshaft in the rear?
                  "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                  It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                    My hardtop squeaks if its not bolted down well enough. try tightening the bolts, then get back to us. and do you have a CV driveshaft in the rear?
                    It was the top, turns out i only had 2 bolts holding it on in back and 6 along the windshield F'n DPO I added a few. It still sounds like a long winded cricket with the 36's on it but at least i don't have to worry about a wheel falling off or anything (yet).
                    -T.M.

Comment

Working...
                    X