goddamn emissions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goddamn emissions.

So I failed it today which sucks cuz I thought they didn't test a 96 but I guess its 96 and up. My check engine light is on also which is the o2 sensor but, how can I pass emissions test? Would the o2 sensor cause me to fail emissions? The cat looks pretty good so I just don't know how to go about this.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

you need the cel off and you need to give the jeep a couple hundred miles after that to reset the monitors
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

replace o2 sensor, clear CEL and drive it for a bit. then retest... BAM
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

want the correct way or the cheap way ?
        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
        eliminator MJ - Sold
        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
          want the correct way or the cheap way ?
          LOL which way you think? The cheap way, next year they wont test it so why bother spending the dough on a whole new exhaust, you know?

What is the cel?

Comment

just buy an O2 sensor

Comment

cel is short for check engine light not sure how mass works on emmissions but if it were ct they hook up to the computer on 96 up make sure computer and all sensors are working assuming mass is similar the only way is gonna be to replace the parts and get that code cleared then it has to have 3 drive cycles to be emmission ready. basically take it for a ride city and highway shut it off let it sit for a couple hours or overnight then talke another ride...i've heard people say it can take alot of miles but i usually do about 100 miles before i go back. good luck
              88 manche-96 4.0 OBDII 5in 35's-new bumper..parked
              ..............back under construction...
              96 2door donor....
              94 yj 4.0 5 sp .... dd only mods no track or sway bars

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJuggalo View Post
                cel is short for check engine light not sure how mass works on emmissions but if it were ct they hook up to the computer on 96 up make sure computer and all sensors are working assuming mass is similar the only way is gonna be to replace the parts and get that code cleared then it has to have 3 drive cycles to be emmission ready. basically take it for a ride city and highway shut it off let it sit for a couple hours or overnight then talke another ride...i've heard people say it can take alot of miles but i usually do about 100 miles before i go back. good luck
                OK thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 93XJRay View Post
                  LOL which way you think? The cheap way, next year they wont test it so why bother spending the dough on a whole new exhaust, you know?

What is the cel?
                  why wouldnt they test it next year ? they will test it till it is exempt... usually vehicles 25 years or older

the cheap way would be to find someone with a obd scanner that has I/M ready monitor ability. with the vehicle running, clear the code and drive on the highway at a constant 65mph for roughly 10minutes. find a road you can go a constant 35mph for 5-10 minutes. with the obd scanner plugged in while driving keep checking it until you get everything ready, in CT your allowed 2 not readys, mass is probably the same. keep it running and bring it to be tested. let it stay running until they pull it in. it takes a few key cycles for a code (if yours comes back right away) to show up as a check engine light/store code. It will be a pending code until enough key cycles have been made with the same code coming up. Pending codes dont show up on emission testing.
                  up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                  eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Well I don't think they tested my 93 so I figure that next year it would be 97 plus right? I could be wrong I guess. Ill see if I can find someone with one.

Comment

i grew up in mass, has to be 15 years or OLDER so next year you might be good for emissions but they still do safety checks
                      1992 xj Briarwood
                      Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
                      Welded front and rear
                      13' LED roof lights
                      Disco ball
                      Truck nuts
                      Spinners

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT View Post
                        i grew up in mass, has to be 15 years or OLDER so next year you might be good for emissions but they still do safety checks
                        That's what I thought. I passed safety and everything it just wasn't ready for emissions or w.e.

Comment

Originally posted by 93XJRay View Post
                          Well I don't think they tested my 93 so I figure that next year it would be 97 plus right? I could be wrong I guess. Ill see if I can find someone with one.
                          yea checked mass emissions site 25 years or old is exempt, everything else is tested just like ct
                          eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Working...
                          X