Long Arm Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Arm Question.

Recently i've been reading alot about long arms since my ride is terrible at the moment. My question is, since i have adjustable upper short arms, can i use those and just make a new lower and a xmember? Im thinking of just picking up some tubing, nut inserts, joints, and some plate steel and fabing lowers and a beefy x member.

If i can, what size joints should i use. And is there a place that will sell the bracket to bolt the upper to the lower, or will i have to fab that up to?
    Last edited by LittleD; 05-15-2010, 07:09 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
    Recently i've been reading alot about long arms since my ride is terrible at the moment. My question is, since i have adjustable upper short arms, can i use those and just make a new lower and a xmember? Im thinking of just picking up some tubing, nut inserts, joints, and some plate steel and fabing lowers and a beefy x member.
    So you are saying you want to keep short arm uppers and just get long arm lowers?
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

i think he wants to use the uppers and integrate them into a radius long arm
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by iant333 View Post
        So you are saying you want to keep short arm uppers and just get long arm lowers?
        Yes. Can i make RE uppers work?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
          i think he wants to use the uppers and integrate them into a radius long arm
          What do you mean by "Radius" long arms?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

one long lower with a short upper attached to it
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post

one long lower with a short upper attached to it
              Yea, thats exactly what i want to do. How hard would it be to set the angles on the tubing for the uppers?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

So essentially you are asking if you can use your short uppers in the stock location, and make long lowers?

I suppose you could, but it would be a terrible idea. When the axle droops, your pinion would dive like a nympho lesbian and bind up your driveshaft and all sorts of other funny looking shit.

Or, what would make more sense is if you were looking at making your own radius arms, which is fairly straightforward if you have the fab skills.

Basically, copy these.

edit: beat to the punch

Comment

i could see that working... just fab up a sick crossmember and long adjustable arms with mounts for the uppers
                  I drive a Datsun

Comment

Even, im planning on making lowers, attaching a bracket to them, bolt the uppers to that and mount them from the tubing to the axle, just like a typical la but with adjustable uppers.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

You might be able to re-use your RE arms for the uppers, but they might not be long enough.

I would start from scratch and then sell the short arms once you finish.
                      Last edited by Even; 05-15-2010, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Im going to have to modify the axle bracketry?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
                          Im going to have to modify the axle bracketry?
                          Forget what I just said, I was thinking of something different.

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
                            Forget what I just said, I was thinking of something different.
                            I almost shit my pants when i saw that

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                            X