Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting custom leaf springs, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting custom leaf springs, any suggestions?

Well I know a gentleman who owns a very large spring shop here in town, complete with a forge and everything for making his own leaf springs. He usually works on like tractor trailers and dump trucks and that sort of thing but he said he'd toy with the idea of making offroad springs as something on the side. And since my Rough Country leaf packs have sagged down to being about stock height I think I need some new ones. Deal is I get them made and installed for free if I put a sticker for his shop on my Jeep.

Question is what should I go for as far as stiffness? My Jeep does mostly rockcrawling but i'd like to get into trying some high speed stuff a little too, leaning toward going a little stiffer.

The RC springs I have now are so soft every time I went over a bump in the road with the Jeep fully loaded I would bottom out on the bumpstops. As of right now it also axle wraps like crazy.

He thinks I should go a little more on the softer side, he said it wont have any travel if the leaves are too stiff and he said he can make them progressive by making the main and upper leaves pretty soft and the lower ones stiffer.

He said he can end up designing them so I end up getting 2.5in of lift from just the springs which would work well with my 1.5in shackles. Im not sure what I want exactly though, anyone know a little about this and want to weigh in?
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Ill rock a set not matter soft or hard if you get them for free. Tell him youll settle for something in between, that's what I would do. Get a little of both maybe? let him know I'm down to rock a big sticker for some free packs haha.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Id go a tad stiff just cause they will break in, also id like to see a set that is about an inch longer from the shackle to the center bolt and the same measurements from the center bolt to the front
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
      X