Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange tick Noise Question--Not many details

Here's the deal.
    If I knew where it was coming from, I'd be able to figure out the issue in one way or another. The problem is, I don't know. I'm just trying to see if anyone here has experienced anything similar in hopes of pinpointing it.

Basically, I started the jeep, and a loud ticking noise started coming from under the hood. This isn't like the last tick that everyone said was supposed to be there. This was a seriously loud noise. It sounded as if someone has stuck a baseball card in my spokes....Or piece of plastic in my fan, to keep it all relative.

I hit the gas, because when doesn't that solve the problem? And the tick increased with my acceleration. When I slowed to a stop, it slowed back to where it started at the idle. When I finally reached my destination (only a few minutes up the road) I popped the hood, only to have the ticking go away.

I ignored the issue the first time and restarted the vehicle. Now it actually stayed while driving and through a couple of restarts, I'm wondering has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks,
    -
    Is it egg nog season yet?

Buy one of these and listen for it if is making the noise you should be able to find it.
    You can always take off the belt to eliminate all the accessories just don't over heat the engine.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945164000P
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

my jeep sounds like that. i was told a wrist pin is starting to go. it goes away once it warms up though. i honestly don't have the answer but i'm in the same boat
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

sounds like your fans hitting the shroud to me. check the fan clutch for play. i've also had a motor mount that was so bad it shifted the motor and the fan was hitting the shroud
        2 tj's
        3 yj's
        2 xj's
        i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
          sounds like your fans hitting the shroud to me. check the fan clutch for play. i've also had a motor mount that was so bad it shifted the motor and the fan was hitting the shroud
          x2, check the basics before you tear into your engine.
          God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

if you just replaced the fan shroud, maybe your engine mounts are whooped

Comment

sounds like it could be an exhaust leak.

I have a broken stud in my header and it ticks loud when i start it up, increases with rpm. once it heats up and the metal expands it quiets down.
              87 Comanche 4.0 4wd

Comment

valvetrain? it IS a 4.0, they're noisy as hell.
                2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                MK2 Jetta > M3
                Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
                  X2

Comment

Working...
                  X