leaf spring bolt issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf spring bolt issue

typical front leaf spring bolts are stuck in the bushings of my leafs. the bolt is maybe half way out but i think the bolt is turning the rubber bushing inside the spring...

any tricks to getting the bolts out?
    I drive a Datsun

Turn the bolt with a ratchet while someone applies pressure to the bolt via prybar or big scree driver. If all else fails cut it out.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Is the bolt unthreaded all the way? or is it still in there?
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

sawzall, angle grinder, and cursing usually works for me
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
          sawzall, angle grinder, and cursing usually works for me
          this.

i had to cut both of them out when i changed my leafs a few weeks ago. I used a sawzeverything. 8 bucks a piece at the dealership

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I second Sam's solution..I have also dealt with this many times..Cut the bolt..and if need be start cutting the eye of the leaf spring apart..At least you will only have to do this once..After they are greased they come out easy everytime..(hardy har thats what she said)
            98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

i can't tell if it's unthreaded all the way yet. thats really the only reason i don't want to cut em.

i'll have to investigate more tomorrow and hopefully i can cut them and call it a day. just making sure noone had a trick first.

thanks guys
              I drive a Datsun

Comment

FIRE!
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

fire would be great if it wouldn't make a damn mess out of the rubber bushing and still not get me anywhere lol
                  I drive a Datsun

Comment

actually now that i think about it the bolt is already backed out pretty far. if you just cut it and hammered it back in a touch it'd prob all be in the bushing and you'd be able to drop the leaf
                    2 tj's
                    3 yj's
                    2 xj's
                    i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
                      actually now that i think about it the bolt is already backed out pretty far. if you just cut it and hammered it back in a touch it'd prob all be in the bushing and you'd be able to drop the leaf
                      this.
                      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                      MK2 Jetta > M3
                      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

antiseize on everything when you put the lift in.

no, fuck antiseize.

never seize. that gold shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
                          getting new bolts all around today, this evenings task is to cut all 4 and replace with freshy fresh ones
                          I drive a Datsun

Comment

Bushings stink when you melt them.
                            06 Wrangler TJ 6 Speed 4" Rough Country Lift on BF Goodrich 33's.

Comment

good luck gettin them out i would just cut them and get new ones

Comment

Working...
                              X