Shock lengths.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock lengths.

I am looking to buy new rear shocks for my WK. Mine are pretty fucking bouncy and starting to leak on one of them like my front strut. I have the front Bilstein Struts now i just need to install them.

I can get the Factory replacement Bilstein rear shocks for about $90 each or i can get a set of Bilstein 5100s $75 each. All are plus shipping. Id get 255/70 valving too.

The issues are lengths and bolt diameter. The stock shocks lengths are 26" ext 18" fully collapsed.

The shock lengths i have to work with from Bilstein.

Bilstein: 28" ext 17" collapsed (ext length is longer but collapsed length is closer to stock)

or

25.97 ext and 15.9 collapsed. (ext length is closer to stock but collapsed length is shorter then stock) To me these seem like the better size.

Do i want to go a little bit bigger or a little bit smaller?

My final issue is the diameter of the bolt hole in the eye of the shock.

The stock WK bolts are 15/32nds diameter bolts. I have no idea what the ID for the bolt hole on the 5100 shock eye is. I can prolly just call and ask or maybe get different sleeves if needed.
    Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

I could be looking at this the wrong way, but I don't see any downside to running a longer shock, unless they become so long bottoming out is a problem. The longer set(28/17) is still shorter than stock when they are fully collapsed, so I say go with those.

Comment

28/17 gives you range on both sides of stock length, I'd go with them

Comment

Ok, i wont be buying them for a few weeks but if there are no side effects to getting those then i will go with them.
        Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Working...
        X