Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front axle opinions (shits bent)...

hokay so.

my inner Cs on my 30 are a tad tweaked, not terrible but is sure is noticeable.

now, i plan on driving a few thousand miles in a few weeks, so i'm just looking for opinions here on what i should do.

the cheapest option is to deal with it and drive on it. i'll roast my tires but its not like theyre brand new anyway. cheapest way to fix it is to get new ball joints and just make due. this will cost a bit over $200 bucks since i'll be doing new lowers and offset uppers...

for added security i can add gussets to the Cs like T&Js kit..

lastly, i can throw a TNT truss on it, but thats another $160+ shipping.

i'm trying to keep costs low, but make sure i dont break my 30 in half on this trip. ball joints are otherwise new and tight to the best of my knowledge. they were all replaced when i put this axle in less than two years ago.

thoughts?

I do happen to have another d30.

RM

Comment

Can you reuse your gears in another axle, and have someone install for cheap? If so why not a new D30 with all that stuff added on?
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

get the c's off a junk 30, have em welded on and new ball joints
        I drive a Datsun

Comment

I would throw in some new ball joints, and weld gussets on the inner C's.

To be honest, I don't see how a TNT truss is going to help you at all. Making the rest of the housing stronger is only going to transfer the stress to parts that aren't braced, which happen to be the inner C's(unless you went with a truss, and C gussets).

Or, just get another D30 and transfer parts over.

Comment

in all honesty, you can get a hp 30 for cheap. find yourself one, truss that one, move everything to it, re-setup the diff and be on your way. lotta work, but it'll be well worth it in the long run.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

i have heard of successful re-bending of 30 c's with heat and hamma.

if it was me i would just do offset ball joints and some 2 by x square tubing to the knuckles on top of the housing (in my experience thats where they bend first)
              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

if i can get a 30 and have someone put my gears in it for less than the price of new ball joints... but then again that axle will prob have bad ball joints. then i need to have the knuckles reamed and i have fancy little LCA skids and a long side UCA reinforcement thing too..

i feel like swapping axles will end up being way more work/$

Comment

u can swap knuckles

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                    get the c's off a junk 30, have em welded on and new ball joints
                    X2, that seems the easiest, if you arent keeping it cheap balljoints only end up being like 125 bucks, thats what my first set were, never looked at the offset ones though. If you need a set of C's I have like 4 housings, ill cut you off a set of C's for just shipping. One of them still has good balljoints too IIRC.
                    Last edited by iant333; 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM.
                    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                      u can swap knuckles
                      x2, and 1/4" flat stock for LCA skids.
                      -Caleb

Comment

he has beefy lca mount deelys
                        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

O.
                          -Caleb

Comment

Working...
                          X