Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think my rear bumper mount is screwed up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my rear bumper mount is screwed up.

Well I thought I'd make my day a little easier this morning and it didnt quite turn out like I was hoping. Had to get a tiny tree out of my front yard, it's right next to the house and was started to crowd out the other plants in front and I figured i'd try to pull the stump out with my Jeep. Well, what ends up happening is it doesnt want to come out and before the wheels even start to spin I break the rear yoke. Ends up being no big deal, I get a JY to mail me out a new one and that issue will be fixed once my new gears are in.

Well what ends up being a real pain in the ass though is I rig my Jeep up for front wheel drive and decide to go down the street and buy an ice cream, well every time I go over a bump in the road I hear this terrible rattling/banging sound. It turns out my rear tire carrier bumper is now sitting a solid 1/4 inch farther out than it did before and the tire swing is rattling against the rear hatch. I get the bumper off at the house and I guess the mounting points look ok, but there is a couple little hairline cracks around the stock bumper mounts and the holes look a little expanded, maybe i'll get a pic up tommorow.

Im still pretty surprised this happened with it even having tie-ins and all, hasn't even been used to pull anything hard until today but anyways, question is has anyone ever heard of this happening or what to do to fix it? Im a little short on ideas of what to do, I'm thinking maybe cut the mount out and weld something a little heavier duty into the frame rail, unfortunately I dont even have my own welder and my skills are a little lacking but I can figure something out in that regard, just wondering if anyone has ever done something like that before.
    Last edited by iant333; 04-25-2010, 07:52 PM.
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

JCR bumper right? they dont tie in as far back as necessary imho (only two bolts back right?)

theres a few guys on naxja who have had this issue, theres a thread on it and youre gonna need to either deal with it or weld it.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. I'm gonna just hammer the jeep part flat, then weld the bumper to the jeep. The two mounts, around the trailer hit, and the tie ins.

Comment

the best part about this is you had ice cream
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
          the best part about this is you had ice cream
          Yeah at least I got my Friendly's Banana Split before I got home and found my mounts were cracked.

Also, what would welding it on accomplish, it will still be attached to the flimsy sheet metal mounts which in my case are all bowed out, plus I like the option of a removable bumper. I found a how-to on Naxja and I think im going to try that route. For the time being to going bumperless in back.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=907275
          Last edited by iant333; 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM.
          01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

yup, thats the tread i was talking about.

Comment

Working...
            X