proportioning valve leakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proportioning valve leakage

so my proportioning valve is leaking. i'm not familiar at all with braking systems. it's leaking from the large nut thing on the end. you can kind of see the fluid coming out in the picture. i tried tightening it but it wouldn't budge. i didn't want to try too much because i wasn't sure if i was even doing the right thing. is there anyway to stop it from leaking or do i need to replace the whole thing?
    1987 YJ
    I'm still learning...

how much is it leaking?

I would make sure that its where its leaking from. if it is, maybe take it apart and clean it with break cleaner and see whats up.... maybe the o-ring is shot

careful, there is a spring in there that will shoot the cap out!

check out this site: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Valve_Mod.htm

edit: do all prop. valves look like this on jeeps? mine has a cap at the end with a bleeder under it, yours looks like its missing the bleeder? Am i wrong?

Last edited by grundlepunch; 04-05-2010, 02:45 PM.
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Dana is right there are a couple o-rings in there just take of the bolt watch out it is spring loaded replace the o-rings.
      As long as the piston is scored or cracked you should be good.
      The hole in the bolt is just for a vent.
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

thanks for the info. i think you're right about the bleeder being broken off. i'm going to do some more research. its leaking pretty bad. i have to fill up the master cylinder every couple of weeks
        Last edited by offrdyj87; 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM.
        1987 YJ
        I'm still learning...

Comment

took another look at it today. its definitely broken off. looks like i'm going to have to get a new one. i don't think anyone sells just the bleeder
          1987 YJ
          I'm still learning...

Comment

Originally posted by offrdyj87 View Post
            took another look at it today. its definitely broken off. looks like i'm going to have to get a new one. i don't think anyone sells just the bleeder
            :swish: lol, go to a pick and pull maybe.
            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

does anyone happen to know if a cherokee valve will work on my yj?
              1987 YJ
              I'm still learning...

Comment

pretty sure mine is the same as yours. i have a 93 xj

Comment

Working...
                X