Torque converter lockup issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque converter lockup issues

so i replaced the chattering,clanking,burning like fya torque converter and while I was in there changed the flywheel and tranny JUST incase (and because i had em' lying around) now another issue has arisen.

97 xj
    95 4.0
    97 torque converter
    96 aw4
    97 nss
    97 output speed sensor

(everything worked flawlessly in other vehicles)

It was all plug and play, no funky wiring here.

Had a bad torque converter, replaced that.

Now about 50% of the time When i go to drive my torque converter wont lock up and i get a check engine light "#89 trans fault" i pull over, turn the jeep off, restart it and the torque converter will lock up fine until the next time i go to drive it. The cel goes off after a while until the torque converter fails to lockup again.

any ideas?
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

does the 96 trans use a standalone TCU or is it a part of the main ECU? wire up an override switch in the TCU and just run it that way.

try swapping another TCU also if thats applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
      does the 96 trans use a standalone TCU or is it a part of the main ECU? wire up an override switch in the TCU and just run it that way.

try swapping another TCU also if thats applicable.
      for now i just turn the jeep off at 50 mph and restart it. then bam cel goes off and torque converter works lol.

but its bullshit, everything worked fine beforehand. i might just put a switch in that bitch

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking just wire the TC lock up to a switch, might be the easiest.
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

did you tighten is down with 105lbs of pressure? maybe its gonna fly off....or maybe the other guys are right.....i just dont know
          I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
            did you tighten is down with 105lbs of pressure? maybe its gonna fly off....or maybe the other guys are right.....i just dont know
            i beg yo pardon?

Comment

well as im driving (in drive) and if it aint locking up all i do is flick the ignition switch, jeep dies and starts back up right away and she locks up and is fine.

so she doesnt seem to be an internal issue which is good. prolly a bad connection somewhere

Comment

Working...
              X