Need to know......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know......

For all of you that have gone doorless... I want to join the club but i want to make it seem like it came from the factory like it. i know there are tons of links of write ups on how to do what people have done but never do a follow up. i have a few issues that i need to know people have fixed.
    the hollowing out from the pins.
    speakers. (i am thinking of making speakers in the same spot as a TJ is space allows)
    power windows and locks. disconnects?
    mirrors. i dont really care thats easy to figure out.
    pics are best and tell me what your thoughts are.
    thanks guys
    98 XJ 4.5 32inch cooper STT DC-1 black KC daylighters 4.10s

Its not just a jeep.

make it look like factory?

huh?

97.5+ hinges are a little trickier than the older style to modify, but its been done.

there are factory disconnects behind the kick panels.

you can always make some as well that splice inbetween the door and body.

and you can buy kickpanel speaker enclosures

might even be enough room in a 97+ to fit some speakers in the lower part of the dash
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i'll take some pics of my setup tomorrow when it's light out if you want- what caleb and i did on mine was cut the pins and the plastic surround, then tap the halves out. a 5/16" pin fits in perfectly and there's not a lot of droop. as to wires, if you have power everything the best thing i can suggest is make some sort of quick disconnect block. as to speaker relocation, that's one im working on now. i'm going to use the soundbar from a mid 90's XJ and mount it right behind the front seats.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

mine is a 98. i have a 4 door. i know the the front doors have disconnects but what about the rear doors?
        and when i say look factory i pretty much mean look extremely clean.

Its not just a jeep.

Comment

i have heard of people putting new pins in. i have also heard of putting door bushings in to make it tighter.

Its not just a jeep.

Comment

FWIW, i've never seen a set of newer style hinges with the doorless mod close like they did from the factory. when i did mike's we did our best and they looks perfect when theyre closed but getting the door on and off takes two people and when the doors are on you need to "lift" the door a tiny bit or just close the door a tad harder than usual.

Comment

Adams pretty right, I drilled out my hinges to accept a 3/8 quickpin and my doors only dropped about 1/8" at the far bottom corner, honestly close to factory.
              I have no brass bushings in mine, and my doors still close easier and better than the rears which I have not done yet. As for discos, I use the factory fronts, cuz I have power locks, windows and mirrors, and I could not find a 20+ pin disco

it's a nice upgrade, but you do it and you'll never b able to go back without quite a bit of work, just food for thought
              dirty30

Comment

I made new pins for mine as well and welded them on the door side hinge. They were maybe an inch long at most and the door pulled right on and off like a wrangler door. The driver side dropped maybe a half of an inch but closed perfect and the passenger door was mint
                P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

I did my rear doors today, the best thing to do is get two connectors (male and a female) and feed the wires into each end. Then just hide them inside the body piece that goes form rocker panel to the roof.

For the fronts: Modify the kick panel so you can easily remove it without having to much work. I removed the first two screws on the inner triming, and cut the top of where the hood release is so it just pops in and out and just use the factory disconnects
                  Last edited by LittleD; 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM.
                  God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                  X