waht to do with my 8.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waht to do with my 8.8?

getting my 88 dropped of tomorrow and keeping it at the marina until i work out a plan for it...

got 4.10s, discs and not sure about limited slip yet have to check the tag tomorrow all for 150$..thought it was a great deal..

anywho if it has the LSD in it will i need a new open carrier in order to put an aussie/lock rite in it?

what do you guys think i should do locker wise? trying to keep the swap as cheap as possible but have my tax return money all ready to be spent lol...the guy who setup my gears is doing the swap for me..

also which diff cover you guys think? i like RSS since i have them on my 30/35 but they are a tad pricey i think...

GO
    -Jason
    99WJ 4.0
    IRO 3", SYE, D30 aussie/8.8 aussie, 4.10s, 33's, skids/bumpers

you will probably need to open the cover and look. You can try checking therangerstation for the codes that tell you what is in the diff, but opening it is the best way to find out, you never know if it was changed.
    you can try spinning the axle shafts in opposite directions if they spin easy then its open if it is hard then LSD but it the LSD is warn out it might spin easy.

If you have a LSD then you cannot do a lunchbox locker (aussie / lock right/ spartan) you will need an open carrier to start with, there is no carrier break so any 31 spline carrier will work.

Cheapest and strongest is the spool, if you want the best road worthyness then go with a selectable locker like ARB.
    Full carrier auto lockers like the detroit are stronger but more expensive than the lunch box locker.

Don't forget to take the o-ring out of your brake valve for the new disk brakes.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

like what was stated above, if you have the LSD you're stuck with it because the carrier would be made to hold clutch packs instead of spiders, however not all tow package exploders has an LSD that was am extra that had to be ordered.

Comment

im hoping it has 4.10s and is open...
        -Jason
        99WJ 4.0

Comment

150 is about avg for 8.8's in this area, i miss my 8.8 That I was building

up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold
          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Part of the Tag should read 4L10 if its a LS axle.

Go with the Ruffstuff cover, type Ranger or PBB10 at check out for a discount....
            Last edited by Toreadorranger; 04-03-2010, 10:15 AM.
            Bent Fab Evo4 Rockwell Buggy
            2011 Silverado 6.2L LT
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT
            2004 Z1000
            1999 TJ

Comment

^this

I just got my ruffstuff in today and shits beefy

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

there're alot of good diff covers out there, just look for the deals

Comment

i would spring for a full case locker. not too much more than a new carrier and lunchbox

its a peace of mind thing with an 8.8 for me (if i ever ran one)

all you have to do is set the backlash and carrier preload, no resetting the gears.
                  www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                    ^this

I just got my ruffstuff in today and shits beefy
                    x2. My ruffstuff cover is pure fucking beef. When I got it I brought it into work and Dillon shit his pants
                    Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

yea i may spend the extra bucks on a full case locker since everyone says the carrier is weak...dont know yet..^^^^what locker are you running in ur 88?
                      -Jason
                      99WJ 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by 4BangerTJ View Post
                        x2. My ruffstuff cover is pure fucking beef. When I got it I brought it into work and Dillon shit his pants
                        I pretty much did the same thing. I got my box and was like holy fuck this is heavy. It must be at least 20lbs

Comment

Originally posted by lakailimited06 View Post
                          yea i may spend the extra bucks on a full case locker since everyone says the carrier is weak...dont know yet..^^^^what locker are you running in ur 88?
                          he is running an aussie I believe. and i doubt you will have carrier issues.

Comment

Yeah I'm running an aussie and have yet to have any problems what so ever. I don't have any complaints about my setup.
                            Knock on wood.
                            Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Ruff stuff FTW, I haveem front and rear and wouldnt have it anyother way.
                              -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X