i keep snapeing exhaust manifold bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i keep snapeing exhaust manifold bolts

well not me actually. i've gone through the horror of changing a jeep exhaust manifold. its one of the few things i'll take the jeep to my mechanic for now. but i just had the manifold taken off to get 2 snaped bolts out and it was good for 2 weeks and now another bolt snaped!!

is there a reason why this thing is doing this?

originally all the bolts holding the manifolds on were loose which i assumed caused the snap. but now its literally been 2 weeks and another one snaped
    2 tj's
    3 yj's
    2 xj's
    i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

mine are bitches.

i kinda just put in bolts that fit, a few washers, red loctite and just snugged them down.

works. for the most part.

Comment

i've been buying "jeep/dodge exhaust manifold studs" from napa but i'm thinkin maybe a move over to sears for grade 8 hardware would be better
      2 tj's
      3 yj's
      2 xj's
      i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

to be quite honest you don't really need to torque those bolts just tighten them good and in the proper sequence

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
            to be quite honest you don't really need to torque those bolts just tighten them good and in the proper sequence
            not to knock this logic, but a lot of people will use this method on bolts or nuts requiring a low amount of torque like 24 ft/lbs and actually over tighten them, causing things to break. Torque specifications are there for a reason.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
              um sence i actually make nuts an shit like that for a living i think its pretty safe to say havein the bolts torqued to the right spec is a big deal.

when bolts/nuts are made they have to be within a certain pitch diameter for that class nut/bolt, an whatever style nuts /bolts are being used on the manifold are ment to be tightened to a certain amount. haveing them too tight can be alot worse than you might think.
              97 zj- frankenstein 3.5", 35 stt's.

92 240sx- coilovers,full adj arms bla bla bla. 50trim t3/t04 soon

xj- need one

Comment

3/4 impact

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                  I was hoping someone would post torque specs cause i didint feel like looking for them. but those barely need to be tightened down.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                    I was hoping someone would post torque specs cause i didint feel like looking for them. but those barely need to be tightened down.
                    yea

i just so happened to have been swapping an engine in my jeep today

and i had that page on the screen when i opened this thread lol.

it also states to use anti-sieze on the bolts, not loc-tite

Comment

Working...
                    X