4.0 feels sluggish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 feels sluggish?

i always knew my WJ was slow but im starting to thing something is up...after driving to the M&G with Adam and Wade they were on 33's with 4.10s and 4.56s and im on 31's with 4.10s and i still had a hard time keeping up...

i know my jeep is heavier but am i asking for too much out of it? where would there be a problem if one at all? ive got a K&N intake and 2.25" pipe with a turn down (not like it does much) and its still laggy..
    -Jason
    99WJ 4.0
    IRO 3", SYE, D30 aussie/8.8 aussie, 4.10s, 33's, skids/bumpers

any other specifics? like running rough? sound like is missing? etc etc. have you noticed anything out of the ordinary?

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

42LE

Comment

42RE tranny, there is nothing at all unusual with the way my engine runs or anything it does bog down in overdrive and i get a WAHH WAHH WAH WAHHH
        -Jason
        99WJ 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by lakailimited06 View Post
          42RE tranny, there is nothing at all unusual with the way my engine runs or anything it does bog down in overdrive and i get a WAHH WAHH WAH WAHHH
          elaborate on tis wah wah wah

Comment

well, at first i thought it was a drivetrain vibe but i did an sye messed with my pinion and nothing...when i cut my exhaust the noise changed so its got nothing to do with shaft angles..

when locked in overdrive at about 45+ mph the engine kind of bogs down and throws off a deep vibration...it kind of sounds like when your running over the grooves on the sides of the highway..does that help?

and when i increase speed/rpm the intervals between the "WAH's" decrease...
            -Jason
            99WJ 4.0

Comment

sounds to me like a torque converter problem or something.

Comment

could be alotta things

my 96 was sluggish has hell for one summer and got progressively worse.

fuel pump was putting out half the pressure it was supposed to.

felt like a rocketship once i replaced that
                www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                  could be alotta things

my 96 was sluggish has hell for one summer and got progressively worse.

fuel pump was putting out half the pressure it was supposed to.

felt like a rocketship once i replaced that
                  yes i will replace this and see if it makes a difference...and i just had complete access to it when i lifted my tank
                  -Jason
                  99WJ 4.0

Comment

dont just replace it

do a fuel pressure test first

takes like 136 seconds
                    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

well first im gonna replace the fuel filter/pressure regulator and see if that helps since its only like a 35$ part and about a half hours worth of work...i meant to do it but ran out of time when i did the tank lift...

after that i will do the test
                      -Jason
                      99WJ 4.0

Comment

Working...
                      X