LSD vs. Locker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSD vs. Locker

The application is in a front axle, and i'm really contemplating a detroit TrueTrac compared to an actual detroit locker.... and i have reasons.

I like how the TrueTrac is locked for a good portion of the time, but under extreme loads it unlocks, i feel like this is a good thing, because instead of snapping an axle shaft i can just go ohhh well, and try a better or smarter line, and still i have that added peace of mind that instead of breaking something i can just go at it some other way.

I also feel like if i opt out of the truetrac and go with a regular detroit, its just a smarter option to go with an ARB, because for 200 more you can't beat having selectability.

Either way i'm stuck on this decision, tell me what you'd do and why.
    Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 03-18-2010, 01:34 AM.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

If its only 200 more for an ARB Id do that. If you get to a section where you think you might break a shaft turn it off and go easy, but you all so have a full locker when u want not just a LSD. I wouldnt waste the money on a LSD either when lockers are much better off road.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

I agree with caleb, at that point why not just spend the money on the selectable that way you chose when it locks and unlocks

Comment

only reason why i'm liking the idea of the truetrac is the fact that i can get one for super cheap right now....

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

application?
          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

well if its really cheap why not get it and if you dont like it just sell it? assuming its not for some weird rare axle

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
              application?
              its for a 9".

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

is it going to see street time? tire size? throwing lots of power at it? "juggy" build?

Not for nothing the non lsd detroit will be good, but if you can swing the cash for the arb i would. I wouldnt want it unlocking when im going full throttle up a hill climb or something along those lines

also good to see you realize that a spool in the front will suck
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

spool has been out of the picture for a while now, its not worth it to dump retarded amounts of money into building an axle and skimp out in the diff.

150 bucks for a supposedly almost new truetrac is kind of hard to pass up, i think i needed someone to just dissuade me not to waste money hahaha.

i really think in this case the ARB will be well worth it.
                  Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 03-18-2010, 02:16 AM.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by greenxj513 View Post
                    its for a 9".
                    when'd you get a 9"? and if its for that just get a locker. plenty of strength on the 35's
                    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

I agree alot with caleb said but I'll also see your point, so if you can spring for the ARB I would without a doubt go with that....

Comment

you are building a front 9"?

what outers?

you should not be worried about busting 60 shafts/outers

and if you have a 9" with 30 or even 44 outers/shafts then it sucks to be you
                        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Same question as Sam,
                          You got a front 9"?
                          If you custom build a front 9" then one has to assume it has 60 outers and you wouldn't build a crazy axle to go easy out there. LSD is not going to get you out of a sticky situation you need a locker.

If you can spring for an ARB they are defiantly get it they have a good reputation and you cannot beat having selectable locker.
                          Another option Yukon just came out with their own line of air lockers they are a little cheaper but like I said just came out most axle aren't in stock yet.

Are you diving this on the road then I you would want it open in the front I don't know how well an LSD in the front drives.
                          If you want to go cheap spool it you cannot get stronger either. If it is a trail only rig who cares if you got to back up 5 times.

In the end it's your call.
                          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by greenxj513 View Post
                            spool has been out of the picture for a while now, its not worth it to dump retarded amounts of money into building an axle and skimp out in the diff.

In my opinion it's a much bigger skimp to go with a limited slip rather than a spool. If you don't wanna skimp then get a selectable locker

Comment

yeaaa i just needed a reason not to waste money on this. I'm deff gonna go with some form of locker, i'd love to do a ARB, but thats a lot of money.

its gonna have 60 outers/shafts, got a great deal on a housing, so i couldnt pass it up. Will most likely sit for a while until i get everything rolling and have my xj out of my main concerns.
                              Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM.

ForSure Motorsports
                              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Working...
                              X