School me on fancy shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on fancy shocks

I want to get something nice for the front. I'm leaving the cheapo nitros in the back for now. Bilstein, Fox, Edelbrock, FOA, I dont really know what is out there and what options they offer. except that 5150s are popular here. as for size/valving/travel etc, I'm lost. Also, where is the best place to buy these things. 4.5" lift and 35s. annnnnnnnddddd go. I'm sure Will and adam will a lot to write
    Last edited by CumminsJeep; 03-11-2010, 05:40 PM.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

ive ridden with edelbrocks and like em, fox too. either are good in my book
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Rustys however, they dont help keep a Jeep on all 4 wheels sometimes
      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

jees look at this guy on unemployment and spending like a baller
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
          jees look at this guy on unemployment and spending like a baller
          free money wooooooooo

Comment

id be pissed if i payed taxes
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

all depends how serious you wanna get...

if you get 5150s, get the 255/70 valving, not even a second thought there.

the step up from them is logically the Fox 2.0s or the Bilstein 7100s, whatever floats your boat there...and valving with those shocks is a whole nother can of worms as you can have it changed.

the fox or 7100 route is good because they are 100% rebuildable, you can buy every single part from the piston to the shims all the way up to the shock body cylinder from a place like poly performance.

part of the reason i went fox is because it can be the last shock i ever buy..if i blast em out, i can just rebuild em..or i can revalve them, yadda yadda...not to mention theyre a little more serious of a shock for speed running which is something i will be doing now

5150s are tough little bastards..and id say are great for a casual dual purpose rig..i had no complaints with mine at all...the fox shocks are definitely better, but theyre also a step up in just about every way, including price.

the fox 2.0s go for around 200 a shock, the 5150s go for 100 a shock...buy whatever fits your budget best, you cant go wrong with either. however i will say if you dont plan to really do anything speed related with your jeep dont bother with the step up (im talking about rough terrain speed, not graded dirt roads and so on, because the 5150s are def up to that)

dont go Edelbrock if you can get the others. FOA ive heard extremely mixed signals across the board....granted i took my advice from guys running KOH and/or werock setups, but it was relevant all the same

OH, and youre going to want 10" travel in whatever you get.

or...get these. http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...k-p-19271.html
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                sweet only $10219.46 for a set of 4
                up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                eliminator MJ - Sold
                99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

settled on the 9300 black hawks. end thread now.

no in all seriousness i will prob go the 5150 route unless i get a ridiculous deal on the fox 2.0. 400 bucks on 2 shocks isnt really in my price range not to mention i dont think i will be doing much supa speed racing.

are there any other options out there? good place to buy 5150s?

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                    settled on the 9300 black hawks. end thread now.

no in all seriousness i will prob go the 5150 route unless i get a ridiculous deal on the fox 2.0. 400 bucks on 2 shocks isnt really in my price range not to mention i dont think i will be doing much supa speed racing.

are there any other options out there? good place to buy 5150s?
                    5150s dont really have similar equivalents from other companies out there in the same price scale

i got mine from jackit.com years ago for a good price...phil or clean4drxj (who was PMin me today about this ironically) may know a better place though seein as they just picked theirs up (or will be soon), i cant recall where phil got his right now
                    - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

http://eshocks.com/bil_ORsb.asp?Seri...tein&SubChar=Q

Bilstein 5150s, 8" travel 255/70. $94 a pop with free shipping if you order more then $200 worth of stuff, so 4 bils easily puts you over that.
                      sigpic
                      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post

Bilstein 5150s, 8" travel 255/70. $94 a pop with free shipping if you order more then $200 worth of stuff, so 4 bils easily puts you over that.
                        this is the best deal you will find brand new. get the 10s.
                        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          5150s dont really have similar equivalents from other companies out there in the same price scale

i got mine from jackit.com years ago for a good price...phil or clean4drxj (who was PMin me today about this ironically) may know a better place though seein as they just picked theirs up (or will be soon), i cant recall where phil got his right now
                          cooooool thanks dude

10"
                          255/70

got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post

awesome. thanks a bunch phillip

Comment

Oh yeah, get the 10" travel. I got the 8" travel since I'm still rocking 3.5" of lift.
                              sigpic
                              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X