raising my gas tank this weekend..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raising my gas tank this weekend..

im raising my gas tank/skid this weekend and i keep reading that cutting the whole spare tub out is going to weaken the WJs rear unibody? what do you guys think? also im gonna cut a 2" and 1" hole into the rear uniframe rails to re route the filler/vent tubes is that going to weaken anything at all?

heres pics of what im gonna be doing:
    stock tub:

hole:
    -Jason
    99WJ 4.0
    IRO 3", SYE, D30 aussie/8.8 aussie, 4.10s, 33's, skids/bumpers

that was my first mod on my last cherokee but an XJ is a little different

I think you will be fine especially when you put some material back in to support the tank it will support the unibody.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
      that was my first mod on my last cherokee but an XJ is a little different

I think you will be fine especially when you put some material back in to support the tank it will support the unibody.

well the WJ gas tank is mounted to this stock wimpy skid plate which im basically just cutting the brackets and moving it up and rewelding it...
      -Jason
      99WJ 4.0

Comment

there were some minor crossmembers on the cherokee I cut out when I did mine. the unibody didn't last long anyway,but that is probably attributed to other things.

just get a spare tire put it in that spot and drill a hole in it then run an inline fuel pump!
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i your worried about it, why not pick up some steel and put a cross member in front of and behind the spare tire area before cutting it out.
          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold
          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

im nto too worried about it i dont think, the tub is flimsy as shit...im mounting the gas tank exactly how it was just bringing it up alittle higher and jsut getting some sheetmetal to cover the hole..
            -Jason
            99WJ 4.0

Comment

Working...
            X