Electrical / Won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical / Won't start

Soooo finally get my brakes and tranny lines sorted out...... now I get to either figure out whats wrong with my electrical or pay to have the best electrical mechanic I know figure it out.

Symptoms: about a week ago the Jeep wouldn't start with the key, but it would still turn power on to the fuel pump/gauges and everything else that comes on with the key.........except for the starter. No big deal i just hit the buttons for the remote start and it fires right up.

So now a buncha stuff is staying on with the key out....... obviously draining the battery

The Jeep acts like it is sitting there running (keyless) but not running, not starting with the remote start, and not starting at all with the key......

i usually just kick my jeep, and whatever problem its having atm goes away for awhile
    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
    didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
    Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
    he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
    Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
    i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

how do i reset the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by snowblur17 View Post
        how do i reset the computer?
        idk if this will do it but unplug it and plug it back in
        Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

I think you unplug the battery and let it set for a night. At least that's what they told me with the renix.
          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
          1999 sierra
          1967 M725 Big and Slow
          -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
            I think you unplug the battery and let it set for a night. At least that's what they told me with the renix.
            you can do this. worth a shot. do it for at least a half hour.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I'll try it, Still doesn't explain why things are staying on when they key is OUT

Comment

so it worked normally for about 3 minutes.... started it a few times, now it will run with the ignition in the off position and the key all the way out..... So I'm getting this feeling like the ignition switch is fucked and could possibly causing this entire problem. Now I've been through this exact same thing before with the '93 and it turned out not to be the ignition at all..... but some other wiring issue. But do to the fact that it does not always respond to the key (as in not starting it and not turning it off) I am leaning towards replacing the ignition to see where that gets me. Any ideas/thoughts are welcome

Comment

my guess is you're getting backfed power from somewhere, i'd go over your wiring harness and make sure nothing is screwed up ... years of wheeling and all takes it's tole on the harness i'm sure.

Comment

my old truck used to do this, it ended up being bad/faulty parts in the ignition switch that would fail to recognize the position of thekey/that it wasnt in there at all
                    dirty30

Comment

Well, considering I don't have the time to deal with this it's in the hands of one of the best automotive electrical diagnostic guys in town. He said more then likely it is the remote start/ alarm system causing the problem........ which I have sort of been suspicious of since it has never worked properly (often works differently) But it could also be the ignition.

Comment

Sounds like that mechanic is right.
                        2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                        1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

Diagnosis is the alarm and remote start had problems, AND the interior fuse panel and attached wiring harness are both badly corroded causing a number of shorts. $600 to remove the alarm & remote start and to replacevthe bad fuse panel and wiring.

Comment

Working...
                          X