what is wrong with my jeep!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is wrong with my jeep!?

seriously this is driving me crazy. the oil leak seems to be my rear main, yada yada whatever who cares. BUT i cannot drive more than 35 or so without the thing feeling like the axles want to jump out of the vehicle.

it is not deathwobble at all and doesn't even seem steering related. it's like a constant repetitive thud, almost as is the driveshaft is being held in with spaghetti and not a u-joint.

the gears are fine, both driveshafts and u-joints are fine, steering is fine, leaf spring u-bolts are fine, unit bearings are fine, long arms are fine.

i keep wanting to check the bolts at the rear driveshaft and SYE when i feel this but they are tight.

would this be a sign of breakage from my old leaking million mile Tcase, trans or engine?

i do not have much time or money to diagnose this but if it keeps up i'm going to have to part this out before i move.... it's gonna break my heart
    I drive a Datsun

How is your t-case fluid? It is entirely possible your engine/trans/t-case are going bad.
    2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
    1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

t case fluid i haven't checked. trans fluid is filthy. engine oil and coolant leak all over the damn place as of recently. oil is coming from the rear main. coolant i have no idea. also the oil is clean, no headgasket issue
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

check y0 tires for a broken belt ?
        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
        eliminator MJ - Sold
        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

swap tires front to back

Comment

i'll try the tires thursday depending on snow
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

could also be something in the trans... not sure though. its hard to tell w/o being there

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                could also be something in the trans... not sure though. its hard to tell w/o being there
                thats what i'm worried about. it gets worse when turning left oddly enough. you have to experience it to even understand what i'm talking about
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                  thats what i'm worried about. it gets worse when turning left oddly enough. you have to experience it to even understand what i'm talking about
                  if it gets worse when you turn DEFINITELY check the u-joints and hubs in the front axle. if it gets worse going left, it would be the driver's side hub.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                    if it gets worse when you turn DEFINITELY check the u-joints and hubs in the front axle. if it gets worse going left, it would be the driver's side hub.
                    i thought that too. checked them the other day and they are fine, brand new timkens. i'll double and triple check though
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

wheels fall off......make sure you check that shit too. but who does that anyway

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                        wheels fall off......make sure you check that shit too. but who does that anyway
                        hahaha owned. glad it wasn't 20 min earlier when i was behind you on rt 80. that would have sucked for us both.

forget this thread anyway, part out has begun
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

Lost a weight from a driveshaft? Mine did that and had the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                            hahaha owned. glad it wasn't 20 min earlier when i was behind you on rt 80. that would have sucked for us both.

forget this thread anyway, part out has begun
                            ill come help once this snow decides to stop.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
                              Lost a weight from a driveshaft? Mine did that and had the same issue.
                              hmm could be, i'll check it out when i part it for dan cause he's getting the driveshaft

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                              ill come help once this snow decides to stop.
                              thank you kindly, any help would be appreciated i wanna get it apart quickly
                              I drive a Datsun

Comment

Working...
                              X