Heims vs tie rod ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heims vs tie rod ends

What with taxes soon to be coming back I'm looking into getting my steering all squared away for my WJ swap and the question is either go with heims or the chevy one ton ends

I don't plan on driving this everyday, pretty much the only street time this will see is to rausch, some locals trails, and when I drive it around town to work or whatnot.

I've heard that heims are Strong, easy to install, but when the wear out they're a bitch to find. But I like the fact I don't need to source a reamer.

Thr chevy ends are nice cuz I kind find em easily locally if need arise, and there proven equipment in applications like this

so school me
    dirty30

TRE's

i run waggy tre's and they do good

i wont talk negative about hiems, but i'll let Corey or andy chime in as they have them.
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

you can source a reamer more easily than you can source heims
      and the tie rod ends can be found in a box on a shelf at any auto parts store
      tie rod ends are greaseable

i rock the tie rod ends
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

and i know corey plans on switching from heims back to tie rod ends. i believe he has the klunks

Comment

Do TREs.

The problem with heims is that there is no way to grease them. Lubrication is what makes things last long time. And there is no cover over them to keep water and dirt and shit out from between the teflon and ball thing so...

Thats my take on em. Someone needs to make a tie rod end that doesn't need a taper and doesn't have gay 7/8 18 thread. make it a normal fine thread.
          Last edited by DrThunder; 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

i'll play opposite here-

i've had nothing but bad luck with MOOG TREs. i go through a set of four every 5-6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
              Someone needs to make a ball joint that doesn't need a taper and doesn't have gay 7/8 18 thread. make it a normal fine thread.
              Truth.

Comment

do tie rod ends....

i have hiems because i couldnt get TRE's to work right with my setup...
                they actually have been pretty nice for me so far...
                they are cheap low quality heims too...
                i daily drove my jeep for a few months with the setup....

i have one slighty sloppy hiem right now... but that is because it was over stressed because of cwazy flex on my pitman arm...
                they are very squeeky when any moisture hits them... so i carry a bottle of wd-40 at all times

im gonna be lookin into some QA1's and my shit should be minty for a long long time.....

QUALITY IS KEY
                Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                some people choose video games
                some choose projects
                some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                  do tie rod ends....

i have hiems because i couldnt get TRE's to work right with my setup...
                  they actually have been pretty nice for me so far...
                  they are cheap low quality heims too...
                  i daily drove my jeep for a few months with the setup....

i have one slighty sloppy hiem right now... but that is because it was over stressed because of cwazy flex on my pitman arm...
                  they are very squeeky when any moisture hits them... so i carry a bottle of wd-40 at all times

im gonna be lookin into some QA1's and my shit should be minty for a long long time.....

QUALITY IS KEY
                  Do some looking around at other companies, I got QA1's for my panhard but then I heard some marginal reviews on them.

FWIW I've heard of people using chainsaw bar oil to keep their heims lubed/quiet. Might be something to look into trying.

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                    Do TREs.

The problem with heims is that there is no way to grease them. Lubrication is what makes things last long time. And there is no cover over them to keep water and dirt and shit out from between the teflon and ball thing so...

Thats my take on em. Someone needs to make a tie rod end that doesn't need a taper and doesn't have gay 7/8 18 thread. make it a normal fine thread.
                    There are covers for them
                    http://www.bakerprecision.com/rodacc.htm
                    There is another type to but can't find them right now

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                      i'll play opposite here-

i've had nothing but bad luck with MOOG TREs. i go through a set of four every 5-6 months.
                      my tie rod ends have been on 2 jeeps, 2.something years, 30k miles and minty phresh

Comment

Originally posted by kappy View Post
                        There are covers for them
                        http://www.bakerprecision.com/rodacc.htm
                        There is another type to but can't find them right now
                        NICE FIND!!... Why didnt you tell me bout these
                        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                        some people choose video games
                        some choose projects
                        some choose welding random things together

Comment