No spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark

Heres the story, i was driving around town and the jeep was running fine, went into a parking lot and the jeep suddenly died on me.

It cranks over fine, has fuel but has no spark. My dad said there was a TDC sensor on the transmission that reads when the flywheel is moving and allows spark? How can i trouble shoot this problem?
    Last edited by LittleD; 02-04-2010, 08:53 PM.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

replace the sensor. and thats a crank sensor. its at the top of the bellhousing. my buddies did the same thing. not uncommon.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I have that particular sensor sitting in my jeep. Brandy new. I'd just like to get what I paid for it. I'll be home next weekend. I'll throw in some injectors if you still need em.
      1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
      1999 sierra
      1967 M725 Big and Slow
      -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
        I have that particular sensor sitting in my jeep. Brandy new. I'd just like to get what I paid for it. I'll be home next weekend. I'll throw in some injectors if you still need em.
        Went over to work on the jeep today, started up with no problem. So i ordered a coil and hopefully this will fix it.

Edit: Advance got me the wrong part, so im getting both later tonight.
        Last edited by LittleD; 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

The CPS is a strange thing. It can go bad, and you can wiggle it and get it to come back to life, or maybe it will do it on it's own. Then one day, it will go for real and you'll be up shits creek.
          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
          1999 sierra
          1967 M725 Big and Slow
          -Dan

Comment

one of my buddies that works at advance said that when something like this happens, 99% of the time the sensor is bad. but ill have the sensor in tonight and hopefully it is the problem.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Crank sensor is in, however it is now running like crap. Seems to be running on only 5 cylinders.

Any ideas what would cause this to randomly happen? plugs, wires and cap were put in 2 weeks ago

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

did you replace the coil?
                Originally posted by Fast Orange
                if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

yep, put in another one, and nothing changed

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

did the problem start after you put on the new wires, cap and rotor? are you sure that it was all done correctly?
                    Originally posted by Fast Orange
                    if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                    I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

i put the wires, cap, plugs and rotor on, it ran fine. Went wheeling on sunday and now all these problems are happening. And yes they were done right.

Edit: i broke a wire when checking for spark, but replaced it, could a bad wire cause this much chaos?
                      Last edited by LittleD; 02-05-2010, 07:29 PM.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
                        i put the wires, cap, plugs and rotor on, it ran fine. Went wheeling on sunday and now all these problems are happening. And yes they were done right.

Edit: i broke a wire when checking for spark, but replaced it, could a bad wire cause this much chaos?
                        yes

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

put some electrical grease on the top of the cap and in the plugwire boots so they slide on with ease and keep moisture out..

Comment

Finally got it to run right today, pulled the plugs to find all of them fouled out. guess it was from cranking it so much getting it to start.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                            X