2000 Jeep Cherokee Stalling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Jeep Cherokee Stalling...

a few days ago i was sitting at a stop light and my jeep stalled. no check engine light no gas light (had half a tank) and no check gauges lights where on. i pushed my jeep to the side of the road and tried turning the key a few times and i got nothing. it tried to turn over but it wasnt starting. i waited a few min and i tried turning the key again and it started right up. this happend again a few hours ago at the car wash. i just got done washing me jeep and vaccuming it out and got in tried to start it, it started but within a few seconds it stalled again. tried turning the key a few times and got nothing. waited a few min and it started right up. i went over to advanced auto which was right down the street and they told me that it could be one of three things; the fuel filter, fuel pump, or one of the many cats on my jeep could be clogged. i asked how much a fuel filter would be and the guy told me that the fuel filter is not serviceable and i would have to take my jeep to a dealship and have them change it. i have never heard of a fuel filter not being serviceable before but who knows. has anyone ever had this problem before or know of anyone who has had this problem?
    2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0L I6, stock for now

Dunno much as far as the problem goes, but if i remember right the fuel filter is servicable, i had to do one on jackies jeep, just make sure you get rid of all the fuel pressure before you try to take it off....

Comment

Fuek filter is in the tank on the 2000s.
      2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
      1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

Any updates on this?
        This happened to me last night in the center of 91S in Cromwell, finally got my jeep over to the side called AAA had a rig coming out to get me but kept trying to get it started. Engine was turning over but would not start. While waiting there for at least 20 minutes I would hear pinking and clanking noises coming from the dashboard (this is while the keys were in the ignition but not in the on position). Tried again and it finally started. Got home, checked everything- turned the car on/off multiple times and it started right up. This morning started up just fine, drove about 10miles and it shut off while on 66. Again, waited a while checked everything started up after a couple tries. 2minutes down the road, shuts off and won't turn back on after over an hour of waiting. It's sitting at the shop now but hopefully we can get it back by tomorrow.
        I stopped by Autozone on the way home to pick up some things and talked to the guy for a bit. Said it's most likely the fuel pump seeing as i've been getting about 10-13mpg.
        **If this helps at all the meter for my rpm wiggles up and down a lot for sitting idle or going down a hill. it'll never stay put- it "wiggles" between ~500rpms. Ex- this morning I started it after it's first stall it was at >1000, then slowly went up and down til it stayed somewhere around 750.
        **Also we just changed out all the spark plugs and wires, did an oil change &no "check engine" or "check gauges" light came on.
        Any advice or tests would be helpful. I searched through here- found it could be the fuel pump, tps, crank sensor, ballast resistor and MAP sensor but no one really updated their threads with what was exactly wrong and how they knew what was wrong. I'd rather not just start replacing things and rely on my luck cause that's surely not working out for me lately.
        Originally posted by XJLI
        never say, or think, that your jeep is running good.

ever.
        ^known from experience on more than one occasion

99 cherokee- 31s on 2"-ish, teraflex disc conversion
        eh that's all at the moment

Comment

Could be the CPS too.
          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

You should take Marx on where its Stallin

Ohhh communist Russia jokes.

Seriously thought, I would take out the TPS and clean it
            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
              You should take Marx on where its Stallin

Ohhh communist Russia jokes.

Seriously thought, I would take out the TPS and clean it
              Too bad Marx was German

Comment

I vote tps or cps. When my cps went it would stall most commonly when I was decelerating.
                Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

test your fuel pressure and go from there, trial and error is a waste of money

Comment

It was the cps. Didn't have time or patience to deal with it ourselves so we brought it to a shop. Although it only took a couple hours, I still had to get a rental for the day because I wouldn't make it back to pick up the car. Um, has anyone here ever driven a newer sentra? It might be the worst car ever made.

If this sensor went on me, is it about time to change out all the others? What kind of maintenance can I do to make sure I do not need a tow in the middle of 91 while they are doing construction again?
                    Originally posted by XJLI
                    never say, or think, that your jeep is running good.

ever.
                    ^known from experience on more than one occasion

99 cherokee- 31s on 2"-ish, teraflex disc conversion
                    eh that's all at the moment

Comment

CPS and the NSS are about the only switches/sensors that usually go on the 4.0

Comment

could also be your iac motor resetting (usually caused by a problem with a battery ie high resistance from corrosion)
                        Last edited by Lycaon; 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM.
                        2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                        1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Working...
                        X