my 89 revs to 3k during start up and stays there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 89 revs to 3k during start up and stays there

Once in a blue moon my 89 XJ with rev and just sit at 3k on start up..If i shut it off it will do it 2 or 3 more times before going back to normal....Anyone have this problem?
    98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

check the choke. Its not EFI right?

It should idle higher when cold but not 3K. Should be under 2K. Then you should be able to knock down the RPMs after a bit with a slight rev.

When was the last tune up?
    http://www.chucksirois.com/jeep

Comment

Check yo TPS.
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

just unload a can of carb cleaner into the throtel body. id also check the vacume lines around the throtel body just makesure they all good....
        #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNitro View Post
          just unload a can of carb cleaner into the throtel body. id also check the vacume lines around the throtel body just makesure they all good....
          are u fucking retarded?

Comment

IAC or vac leak.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNitro View Post

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Carb cleaner won't hurt injectors or throttle bodies -but you may need some new eyebrows when you are done

+1 for vacuum leak
                http://www.chucksirois.com/jeep

Comment

Checked all vacuum lines and cleaned out the throttle body..Also took off the idle speed control motor and cleaned that out really good..So far so good..gotta keep driving it to see if it does it again.
                  98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

mine used to rev really high on start up. It wouldn't stay there though, it'd come right back down in 5 seconds or less. But I pulled my IAC and it was pretty nasty. Cleaned it up nicey nice and it was fine after that .
                    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                    1999 sierra
                    1967 M725 Big and Slow
                    -Dan

Comment

If you havent already take a good look at all the vacumme lines before one does go bad.. alot of them get brittle especially being an 89.. I know both my 89s had bad vacumme lines for the map sensor and when replaced they ran 100k better
                      89XJ Pioneer Edition 3.5" 33s ravines 4:10s 8.8- parted but not forgotten
                      95XJ tons 3 link 36s 5:38s
                      97 F-250HD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
                      If Parts Ain't Flyin' you Ain't Tryin'

"Shut up and Wheel"

Comment

Working...
                      X