antifreeze leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antifreeze leak

ok so i have been battling my jeep for about a year now.it is a 2001 xj. it seems to always leak out of the thermostat housing it seems like because there is only two bolts it doesnt create a tight enough seal. has anyone else had this issue? i have replaced the gasket 3 times now, each time cleaning it and making sure all the old gasket and crap is off.
    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
    -57 GMC Pickup
    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

is it leaking from where the thermostat meets the block or where the hose meets the thermostat. How's your hose look? If it's shitty maybe its leakin out there and down the block.
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

are you 100% sure its leaking out of the thermostat housing? not water pump?

anyway, i have never had a problem nor do i know anyone who has ever had a problem getting a permanent seal there
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i'll x2 what sam said. maybe the thermostat housing is cracked?

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
          i'll x2 what sam said. maybe the thermostat housing is cracked?
          its not cracked and yes it is leaking out of the housing not the hose.
          -57 GMC Pickup
          -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
            its not cracked and yes it is leaking out of the housing not the hose.
            next time you do a gasket, make sure that you put a thin layer of rtv sealer on both sides of the gasket. works for me

Comment

ya definitely use rtv on that sucka too.

Comment

i wouldn't put a gasket on dry for that application... Hi temp RTV

Comment

Check the housing for warpage on a flat surface.

Comment

use the right stuff...

no really thats what its called... Permatex - "the right stuff"
                    Originally posted by Fast Orange
                    if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                    I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

i used sealer everytime and as a quick fix cuz i was out i just put the gasket on, no sealer and its holding alot better then it did befor, we will see how long this last.
                      -57 GMC Pickup
                      -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

mine has always leaked unless i sealed it with something else first
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

actually the 3m weatherstrip and gasket maker yellow works a million times better than right stuff
                          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
                          X