plasma cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plasma cutters

Can anyone give any advice? Looking for opinions on what you have used/found good deals on, etc.

I'm just about tired of cut off wheels, and oxy/acetylene torches. I'm looking for something that's can cut 3/16-1/4" fairly well.

I really have zero knowledge on this topic, so bear with me.

why does it matter, your not going to be touching your jeep in months
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

the ones i've used were not any name brand i recognized but they worked great.

but they are expensive man, and how often are you going to use it? its not like a welder where you HAVE to use one to put 2 peices of metal together. You can cut with lots options, you can use cut off wheels ect... just as easy

and personally i think they are only useful if you are doing lots of sheet metal or cutting out brackets out of plate all the time. they dont make nice "finish" cuts unless they are on a good prepped surface.

i donno man, i have used them and liked it but i wouldnt get one unless i do lots of fab work for other people (like my friends)
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Just get good with the torches Mike and I make some really clean cuts with them
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
          but they are expensive
          This will probably be the deciding factor. I just HATE using cut off wheels.

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
          Yea, I definetly suck at making clean cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
            x tew

Comment

BORKED
              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
              1999 sierra
              1967 M725 Big and Slow
              -Dan

Comment

That's cool as hell, but I would kill myself building it.

Me and electricity don't work well together.

Comment

haha you and me both. I get electrocuted wayy more than is healthy. My fine is still brain too.
                  1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                  1999 sierra
                  1967 M725 Big and Slow
                  -Dan

Comment

Hypertherm, I have the Powermax 1000 It kicks ass, They are made in New Hampshire, its worth spending a little more $ to get one that will last and can be fixed.

Comment

I have a small Miller Spectrum 375 that I bought for $700 used. I bought it from a buddy that used it once and then sat it in the corner of his shop. It now resides at Pete's shop cause I haven't picked it up in months.

Thermal Dynamics and Hypertherm are probably the names to look for though.

Comment

Look up how much consumables are, how long they last and costumer service in case anything breaks.

I talked to a welding supply store they basically came up with Miller being the best.
                        They just came out with the new plasmas right after I bought mine they are so much smaller.

I don't have much to compare too but i have the Miller 600 something not the extreme. Works great.

The one advice the store told me is go with a larger plasma you can afford.
                        With torches you can always turn up the gas to cut something thicker not with plasmas what they say is all you get.
                        Plus bigger means cuts faster on thinner stuff.
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

dang -looks pretty easy to make...
                          http://www.chucksirois.com/jeep

Comment

Working...
                          X