Identify the part...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify the part...

Last summer after buying my TJ I change my tranny fluid. I don't think any of the previous owners ever changed it... it came out like sludge. Needless to say when I pulled the drain plug I was shocked with what I found..

I posted this at JF and a couple other places with no definitive answer. I figured I'd test the knowledge here out. From my research it is a roller bearing from the countershaft input bearing to my transmission but I'm no transmission mechanic.

Any guesses as to what this is? The transmission shifts fine, drives great. Lately its been making marble like noises but I suspect the throw-out bearing has to do with it. I can post more pictures and measurements if needed
    2002 TJ Sport 3" AEV coils with OME LTs

it's part of your needle bearing from the main shaft is my guess.... does it make a growling type noise?

Comment

It's hard to say that it makes a "growling" noise. It does make a lower noise when releasing the clutch just as it makes contact. I guess you could say at that point its almost like a growling. I thought needle bearings were very long and thin?

Comment

No a needle bearing is used to describe the type of bearing, it does looki like one of the bearings from the shaft.
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

Is this shaft we speak of where the nv3550 meets the np231? A while back I tried finding a similar looking bearing on rockauto with no luck. I did find a similar looking bearing in a NV3550 rebuild kit, it took me forever to find the picture and I never saved it

Comment

its not easy to tell you for multiple reasons i do not have the transmission apart in front of me and there is a few bearings on that shaft
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

cletus is right, it's hard to say unless it's infront of you

Comment

I'll have to stick with my current plan and wait for something to go wrong then

Comment

Welcome to owning a jeep.
                  Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X